Camera Placement Advice Needed

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Moneybrawler
Tutor
Tutor

I'm having a difficult time capturing motion on my cameras even with the setting at 100%.  I'd like some input on where to place 1 or more cameras near my front door to detect people. 

IMG_5786.JPG

This camera, located 7 ft high does not pick up motion anywhere near the door or the window next to the door.  It picks up some motion near the window it is closest to.

IMG_5790.JPG

IMG_5792.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The PIR has a max detection range of about 20 ft for people....

I would temp mount it on your column to the left of the door and see if can detect people better for you.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Moneybrawler
Tutor
Tutor

OK thanks I'll try that and see.

What about this one? Right now it picks up literally nothing. I've stood in front of all 4 windows and walked alongside the bushes and can't get it to activate even on 100% sensitivity.

IMG_0025.JPGIMG_0017.JPG

Moneybrawler
Tutor
Tutor

I had a guy come through that gate 4 times with large epuipment and it didn't catch a thing.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your shots show issues with placement.  I've found the best detection is across the FOV (moving along the windows/bushes is more AT the camera as opposed to across), starting at an edge.  I would have thought the person moving equipment would have triggered a recording but the gate is kinda in the middle of the view (not sure which way motion would have been).  It would be best to move the camera to a better location - the trees are small but could be used to hold the camera if you're clever with mounting.  That way the view isn't raking down the side of the house but gets the motion as suggested above.

It's trial and error...

Moneybrawler
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks. The trees belong to the neighbor.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You may have to be clever with possible mounting alternatives.  Some folks have mounted them inside posts or boxes or even consider mounting on brick or whatever your house is made of.