Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
BJSalamone
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am new to Arlo and the Arlo community.  I am working to install my system.  What does everyone think the best angle, position and location is for a front door camera with a front porch and small yard?  I know there are many different variables and scenario for everyone, but wondering if there is a general consensus.  I will be using an adjustable wall mount.

Thanks to everyone in advance for their help!

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Unfortunately, it's impossible to be specific. Only generalizations to get you going because it depends on so many variables. Start with the idea that motion should be across the field of view, not directly towards the camera. Motion should start at an edge, not in the middle, for best performance. Don't try to take a large view because that will generally hurt detection due to not following the above guidelines. It's trial and error and may take some time to figure it out. The least amount of lag noted after detection is about 2 seconds so use that when aiming - if you get more lag, the camera may not be optimally aimed.

If you have questions after getting started, post a screenshot of your situation so we can see what's actually happening.

Edit: you seem to be talking about wireless cameras although this is in the Q section. Just be aware that each version has a different detection mechanism so we need to be sure which version you're using.

BJSalamone
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply!  Yes, my apologies, I am indeed talking about the Arlo Wireless camera for outdoor use (one underneath a porch, so protected from moisture...the other on back porch so not detected for motion.  Is it possible to move this post to the wireless section for more feedback???

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've never seen a post moved but many folks browse the whole site so don't sweat it.  You could re-post but I don't know you'd get a different audience.

CaptainDork
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat has provided an excellent answer and I'd like to add a thought:

If the camera is pointing out towards the road, you may want to lower the angle so it doesn't detect traffic.

Also, if you have shade trees, you may want to decrease the sensitivity of motion detection.

Both of those things contribute to battery drain.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

I'd say, the two most important points for best placement of a front door Arlo wireless camera are as follows:

1. Point it away from the road (as to avoid false motion alerts by passer-bys, which occur often if you point it towards the road),
  2. Place it so that a visitor/intruder passes through the picture from one side to the other, i.e. avoid orientation where someone would come straights towards (or straight away from) the camera, as that typically causes a late trigger event that is further delayed by the recording lag.

So, if you have a tree in the front yard, and it isn't too far away from the front door, try affixing the camera to the tree. Or if a covered porch is present, mount it away from the front door, but pointing towards it, preferably at an angle, i.e. not fully frontal.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation