Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Timmy256
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi,

I just noticed that Privoxy installed on a DD-WRT router is blocking Arlo functionalities, such as Live Preview and Camera Positioning. When clicking on those with Privoxy running, they just time out. If I disable Privoxy, they work again.

I've tried whitelisting:

.arlo.netgear.com

.amazonaws.com (out of a tracert arlo.netgear.com)

And it still doesn't work.

Anybody know what other address to the (Amazon server probably) should I try whitelisting in order to maintain Privoxy running along with the Arlo set-up?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It could be ports that need to be open.  Ports 80 and 443 (http and https) definitely need to be open but some folks have had issues if 123 (ntp) isn't open, too.

Another possibility is your DNS server - try setting to Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) or OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.222.220)

Timmy256
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for your reply jguerdat. Privoxy is not a firewall that blocks ports; it only filter address that match certain regex filters; mainly to block ads.

Somewhere in there, it might be blocking a call to one of the servers that Arlo uses; hence blocking its functionality. I've tried using Wireshark to see if I could get something, but sadly I wasn't able to do so.

If somebody knows of a list of the Amazon or Netgear servers that Arlo uses, I could try adding those to the whitelist and enable Arlo to work with it.

Thanks again!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The fact that live view and positioning is what's not working implies that it's a Flash issue, which is used by those functions.  I can't speak for why those would be blocked.  Perhaps opening a case with support would help since support would have access to the info you're looking for and may have encountered this before.

Timmy256
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks again jguer, but it's not flash, because disabling Privoxy on the router makes it work again. And also, those functions are blocked on the native phone app and start working with Privoxy disabled (Adobe Flash is not involved there).

My guess is that there is a certain URL that it's being filtered when trying to connect to the cameras directly, and that's what I'm tring to find. I didn't even test if the cameras record at all in the "Library" while Privoxy is enabled; so it may be possible that even them aren't able to reach the server to upload the video - I've only noticed it with "Live View" and "Camera Positioning" and disabled Privoxy right away in order to not miss any recordings.

Thanks!

Timmy256
Apprentice
Apprentice

Any ideas on this?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not here.  I'd try user and developer support (https://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/contact.html) and open a case with support here since they may have seen this before.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation