Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo detects wrong motions and does not work

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
smankala
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ArloSmartHome My arlo camera is detecting useless motions and draining battery even after changing sensitivity reduction. It will detect when person is leaving than coming towards the camera same things happens with my car. I am about to return my arlo wireless camera. Please help me here

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's all about position and angle, trial and error.  Motion is best detected ACROSS the FOV, not directly to/from it.  Also, the edges of the FOV seem to work best.

Gmccullough1
Tutor
Tutor
I have the same problem. Previously my Vue Zone caneras activated immediately when someone came up our steps. The Arlo cameras activate and start recording when the person is walking away missing the front view altogether. Can't ID people from the back of their heads. I have adjusted sensitivity and it does not improve. At this point I wish I had my Vue Zone system back. Any ideas Netgear?
Gmccullough1
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's a battery operated system that needs to preserve batteries. The rest is trial and error to find the right location and angle to get motion ACROSS the FOV, not directly at the camera.

Gmccullough1
Tutor
Tutor
So I have to point my camera away from what I want to see to have the camera respond quicker. Does not make sense. Trouble is the reaction of the new cameras is not as good as the old VueZone caneras. Same location for both caneras totally different response. Netgear has created a problem.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You're making it more difficult than it needs to be. Yes, the camera isn't pointed directly at the scene but in a way that allows motion detection to work most effectively as the subject enters the scene rather than aiming directly at it. It's a mindset, to be sure, but it works well if you don't try to defeat how it works best.

Gmccullough1
Tutor
Tutor
I read your response several times and it makes no sense. Either the camera reacts properly meaning as soon as motion is detected or it doesn't. Right now it takes 3-4 seconds after someone enters the FOV before it starts recording video. I have seen other posts regarding the lack of of sensitivity of the Arlo system cameras. Remember, I had Vue zone cameras in the same spots and did not have this problem.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I had Vuezone cameras, and moved many of my mounts...

The Arlo cam is less responsive to movement directly INTO the camera detector and more sensitive to motion accross the detector...esp more at the edges of the FOV of camera lens.

So what he means is to attemp to have the traffic flow accross what the camera sees for a better response.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Gmccullough1
Tutor
Tutor
I hear what you are saying. I have a 7' wide x 12' deep porch entry from a sidewalk up to my front door. My camera is above the front door pointing straight out towards the sidewalk leading up to the porch so I can identify someone's face as they come up the sidewalk, then the three steps a BD walk 12' up to my front door. What I get is the individual turning from the front door and walking back away from the door, down the steps and down the sidewalk. The only way to get the cameras edge to pick up the movement as you explained is to aim the camera at the wall which defeats the purpose of the video recording. I will probably just return the system.
smankala
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am not sure if Arlo support looks at these posts. I do not have support number. I am also returning my system. Bad customer support system. Looks like a generic problem but no solution from Arlo team. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

smankala,

As jguerdat suggested, there are many variables in each users environment  that will sometimes require some trial and error to find the right conditions and best performance for your Arlo setup. In your case it sounds like there could be interference or a WiFi signal issue that is causing the issues you describe.

This article provides great tips for making sure you get the best performance out of your Arlo system, take a look: Optimizing motion detection performance on Arlo Wire-Free cameras

If you would still like to contact the support team for further investigation of the issue, you will find options to do so here: Arlo Support Center

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation