Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo android app mode switching is user hostile

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
HiloRain
Guide
Guide

We tried to get geofencing to work to no avail so we manually arm and disarm the system using the android app.  The problems I see with the Mode tab are:

1) It doesn't display when the app starts, it takes about 5 - 10 seconds for it to appear.

2) Once it is displayed and selected, it shows a list of one (my base station) and the "Getting status..." message

3) After gettting status is complete, I have to select the one item in the list to get to the page for actually arming/disarming.

Why isn't the tab displayed immediately like Devices and Library?

Why are you displaying a list of one?  Just don't do it, it's bad UI design.

Get status on your own time... I don't understand why getting the status takes so long (another 5 - 10 seconds) but you should not be doing that synchronously.  Allow the user to interact with you app while you get the status asynchronously.

How it could work (using the general UI design you currently have):

All 3 tabs display and are responsive as soon as the app is up.  The Mode tab skips the "list of one" and displays the available modes to select.  Only if there are multiple systems, the Mode tab displays the list of two or more systems with the ability to pin a system mode selection page so the list is secondary.  Get the status asynchronously and allow the user to set the desired mode without waiting for it to return.

The app/product in general could be renamed "Arslo" because it's so painfully slow in nearly every aspect. 

1 REPLY 1
ViaVeritas
Guide
Guide
Scrolling through the posts I noticed no one ever replied to yours even though it was 3 months ago.
Typical of Netgear and their Arlo community/support, in my opinion this entire system is a joke and complete waste of money. The recordings are so inconsistent that these can not be called security cameras. The amount of posts complaining about how terrible the Arlo system is blows my mind. Like most people I didn't realize what an inferior product this is until it was too late to return them.
It's a shame Netgear/Arlo can care less to respond to your post, it is however a perfect example of what a terrible company they are. Also explains why Arlo has so many issues...
Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation