Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro and local storage

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
redkian
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought the Arlo Pro specifically because it supports local storage. I am uninterested in paying a monthly fee for cloud recordings as I have plenty of hard drives at home to store the videos on. I see however, that all my locally saved recordings get wiped on a rolling 7 day schedule.

What the **** Arlo!!!!! Nowhere in your support documentation, at least nowhere I found before purchase, was this spelled out! What is the point of local storage if you won't let me archive MY SECURITY FOOTAGE!!!!!! Seriously thinking about taking this system back.

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

With the arlo Pro, yes... the FREE service is rolling 7 days.

But, you can add a usb stick/ hd to the usb port in the back of the base for a backup AND they will record whatever goes to the library and not delete.  Mind  that they are a backup and the speed stick must be ejected and put into a computer to view files.

Also, don't delete any files as they will auto delete on the servers, save any you want locally by d/l.

Of couse you can alway upgrade to a higher level for more days but usu the backup files will be enough for most

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
redkian
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, if I remove the storage I can connect to a computer and everything will still be there even though the app and webpage both claim I have nothing older than 7 days? This is still idiotic. I will have to try when I am home and see if my recordings are still there.

Very user unfriendly if this is the case but is, literally, better than nothing I guess.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@redkian wrote:

So, if I remove the storage I can connect to a computer and everything will still be there even though the app and webpage both claim I have nothing older than 7 days? This is still idiotic. I will have to try when I am home and see if my recordings are still there.

Very user unfriendly if this is the case but is, literally, better than nothing I guess.

No.... The 7 day rolling storage is free and always there, this really being cloud based.  The USb port in the base rear allows a backup of all files written to the cloud. So if you use a 32GB speedstick in the base , you will be able to have copies if needed that went to the cloud.  Since a 10sec clip is aprox 1MB, even a small speed stick will hold quite a bit

Downside is a s mentioned, you must eject the usb and then plug it into the computer to view files... you can't access them directly while plugged in

( ps; the usb will support up to a 2TB capacity, formatted in fat32 )

redkian
Aspirant
Aspirant

I understand the 7 days is free. My issue is that there is no indication that the system HASN'T deleted from local storage anything older than 7 days. The way it works currently, it appears that I have no recordings older than 7 days. Unless I dismount the local storage (potentially missing out on recordings) and connect it to my computer then copy all the recordings elsewhere then reconnect the storage.

I want the ability to: see my local storage from the app/web, turn off video upload so I don't have to pay stupid Comcast an extra $50 a month to not blow past my bandwidth cap (only high-speed provider where I live so I have no other options), or upload AND record to local. Local storage is very obviously an after-thought (which I know it is as I have been searching the forums) and was implemented in the most basic way possible just to shut people up.

Aside from the couple second lag before recording on motion, Arlo could be a very good system. Right now it isn't.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@redkian wrote:

I want the ability to: see my local storage from the app/web, turn off video upload so I don't have to pay stupid Comcast an extra $50 a month to not blow past my bandwidth cap

Unfortunately, you can't turn off the upload if the motion is on and it triggers from same.

Reason is that the base unit only gets the command thru the internet and if you turn off the comm, you can't control the base

Sometimes, the fit just isn't good to the needs.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation