Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Geofencing Not Working on Guest's Phone

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ChrisD_317
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would like to set up my system to use a combination of Geofencing and scheduling to minimize random meaningless recordings that take up space and drain the batteries. I have two iPhones with the Arlo app installed: mine is a 5s and my wife's is a 6. She has been granted full access to the devices; location services are turned on on her iPhone; background App Refresh is "on" on her iPhone; location services for the Arlo app are set to "Always" on her iPhone. The Arlo app is open and running in the background with her logged into her account. My phone is set up the exact same way. The problem is, within the Arlo app on my iPhone, it shows mine as "In Zone" when I'm home. For hers, it always shows "not available" like it can't determine where her phone is located. I've tried everything, including restarting her phone, removing and reinstalling the app on her phone, and removing and adding back in her phone for geofencing. Anyone else having this issue? I would really like to start using this feature, but it needs to work with her phone, not just mine, to work the way I want it to.

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ChrisD_317,

It sounds like you've done most of the troubleshooting the I would recommend. A more in-depth review will be needed to identify the cause of this issue. Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

ChrisD_317
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I just got done with an online chat session with Netgear Arlo technical support. The rep was very helpful. Not sure why this worked, but we ended up turning off Wi-Fi on my wife's phone. As soon as I did that, her phone showed up as "In Zone" like it should have instead of "Unavailable". I then turned Wi-Fi back on, figuring it would stop working, but it kept working. It is still working 15 minutes later with Wi-Fi on as I type this. Not sure what the deal is, but it's working for now. Anyone who's having this problem, try turning Wi-Fi off on the device not reporting its location and see if that helps. Hopefully when you turn Wi-Fi back on, it will still work like mine did. I'll try to post again if anything changes (like it stops working again).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sometimes in the grand scheme of things, something goes wrong in a device.  A useful troubleshooting step is to restart various devices, one at a time, to see if that helps.  It's possible that the action of toggling WiFi would have been corrected by a restart of the phone - something just got stupid.  While that doesn't explain anything, consider the restarts as part of the process.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation