Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Error on Cold Weather - Your Camera Needs wo Warm before you can use it..

Discussion stats
  • 33 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
jomzz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought 4 camera bundle Arlo pro after setup, firmware update, I initially install 2 camera outside and after 2 hrs the camera error is " Your camera needs to warm up before you can use it".

I understand The operating temperature of the Arlo Pro is -4° to 113° F (-20° C to 45° C), but my friends 4-non pro camera are working fine.

I am living in Canada and sometime it is extreme cold lower thatn -20C. 

I consulted my neighbor friends who they have no problem on their non-pro Arlo Camera after they show me their live view during the time that my camera is having this error.

33 REPLIES 33
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Give it a shot, i saw them on amazon and a youtube review, they look nice. But this seems to be totally intentional and not a "bug". I think anyone who experiences this needs to open a ticket and don't accept a canned response about the temp range. I would insist on it being escalated to enginners.

dgaspari
Aspirant
Aspirant

Probably worth noting that it did NOT get colder than the stated operating parameters when i got the "camera needs to warm up error".  It was in a sheltered area an wind was not a factor.  Dont believe i have seen anything yet from Netgear on this issue?

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I wouldn't bank of netgear commenting here. Open a ticket so this gets escalated. 

Leth01
Aspirant
Aspirant

So if we wanted an outdoor camera, we should buy the Arlo instead of the Arlo Pro, very nice...

Dustin1300
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can say that the time wasted with Netgear's support has been a waste of time.  They stated the camera is created for a range and this is not an issue and is by design.  Instead of marketing these as outdoor cameras they should say they will work a % of time outdoors if the temperature is x-y.  

I'd not recommend the Arlo Pro unless you have temperatures in their expected operating temps or you'll have a very unrelable expensive camera....

cyberstream
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wish I read these forums before I purchased the pro as well - this is a deal breaker for me - any crook that knows this system would simply wait for the weather to cold - no alerts, no recording. Totally eliminates the point of having a security system.

Unless support has a fix or a work around - these cameras are getting returned. 

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

LOL, to think that a crook will scope out all houses, identify which have an Arlo...then wait for it to be -4 degrees, and then rob them....i guess it could happen but maybe one in a million, lol.

PS. I agree with everyone that -4 shutoff sucks.

Dustin1300
Aspirant
Aspirant

I ended up getting no help from their support.  This is not a bug and the cameras are working as intended.

Not much help and was pretty much told we're sorry it does not work in your area...

Terk
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was thinking of picking up an Arlo Pro for outside, I was planning to have it plugged in, did any of those who had this issue have theirs plugged in?  I can see it not working via battery below 0f but I would hope it would still work fine if plugged in.  Thanks.