Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo App Needs Some Help

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
theclutch
Star
Star

I'm sitting here since I'm appaled by the "new" Arlo app that just came out.  Really, it's not that much different from the original one which needed help also.  Might I suggest a foolproof way to help ease the setup at least when done through the web?

Here goes... I noticed that each "rule" is now available to be modified for each mode. I thought, "Great, during the day, I can set the Garage camera at full 100 sensitivity and then turn it down at night where it seems to pick up headlights/cars from the street more easily".  So now that I just finished fiddling with the settings since my Garage camera now recorded 50 or so short videos within 1 hour, I come to realize that changing the rule within one mode, also changes it for the other modes.

For example, I can't have the following where the sensitivity is different.

Mode Early Eve: 4:00pm - 11:59pm

Rule Record Garage on Motion: 100 sensitivity

Mode Early Morning: 12:00am - 5:59am

Rule Record Garage on Motion: 70 sensitivity

Given that, then it seems silly to be able to adjust each rule within each mode.

For me, since you can't have independent rules for each mode, then you might as well put these rule settings within each camera settings (which is in a different menu path).

I use the Schedule Mode primarily.  Thus, I would prefer to be able to "drag and drop" the cameras that I want "ON" in each time range....  Something like this where each number represents a camera...

Monday

12:00 am - 5:59 am:  12345 (all cameras on)

6:00 am - 3:59 pm:  134 (only cameras 1, 3 and 4 are on)

4:00 pm - 11:59 pm:  25

Tuesday - Friday, Saturday, Sunday

etc...

It's MUCH easier for me to see what cameras are on or not this way.  Currently, I only see the "Mode" for each timeslot in the schedule.  For me to remember the details of what camera is on or off, I have to now go into each mode to dig into it....This is currently not very intuitive.

The user interface folks need to review how NEST or similar "easy" to program multi-thermostats are programmed in a multi thermostat operated home.

...Just my opinions...

2 REPLIES 2
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Another user reported that push notifications also acts the same way.  They are still per camera, even though the user interface now makes it looks like they are per rule.  I think it would be helpful for someone from Netgear to clarify how this "settings matrix" is all supposed to work, because the settings that seem to be independent are not.

theclutch
Star
Star

Interestingly, it seems that the standard mode "Armed" can have different rule settings for the cameras.  But custom modes are still all the same with each other.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation