Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Android apps not working

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
raffa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

just tried to install my new arlo camera. Everything went fine, but when I try to monitor the camera on my mobile I could not install the arlo app on android.

On google play, it says that my mobile is not compatible with the app (I have a samsung S2).

Then I tried to use my browser on android, to access  https://arlo.netgear.com but again, the browser refuses to show me the webpage and ask to install the arlo app.

How can I solve the issue in order to monitor my camera with my android?

Thanks,

Raffa

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

just tried to install my new arlo camera. Everything went fine, but when I try to monitor the camera on my mobile I could not install the arlo app on android.

On google play, it says that my mobile is not compatible with the app (I have a samsung S2).

Then I tried to use my browser on android, to access  https://arlo.netgear.com but again, the browser refuses to show me the webpage and ask to install the arlo app.

How can I solve the issue in order to monitor my camera with my android?

If Google tells you the app is not compatable with your android , you prob can't run it on your phone...

running via the browser may work if with flash activated... try a couple other browsers and one might work... like Chrome

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
DaneA
Master
Master

Hi raffa,

Have you tried to reboot your Samsung S2 and tried to install the Arlo app?

Is your Samsung S2 rooted? 

Regards,

DaneA

Arlo Team

raffa
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi,
My s2 is not rooted. Also I tried to reboot but nothing changes.
I think the issue is that my mobile is not supported by this app. On google play, the error message is : device not supported.
I think the app should really support even older devices, otherwise the arlo system will have limited use.
I tried on a samsung s3, and is working ok. Of course I don' t want to change my phone just for the arlo app to work 🙂

Regards,
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's prolly the Android version, not the specific phone.  Like most other OSes, support to the latest, greatest doesn't happen after some time.  I suspect you are on Android 2.x while 5.x is the latest.  Rooting and installing an updated OS would be the most likely answer.  Cyanogenmod seems to have 4.x available if you choose to go this route.  

Support for old OSes is problematic at best - ask Apple and Microsoft.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If Google tells you the app is not compatable with your android , you prob can't run it on your phone...

running via the browser may work if with flash activated... try a couple other browsers and one might work... like Chrome

The browser doesn't need Flash except for Live View - everything else works. Adjusting the schedule is problematic due to the need to grab the bars with your finger although it may also need Flash to actually work.  I use Chrome on my tablet occasionally with no issues other than those noted here.

As for the app, if you wanna download the .apk and muck around in it so you can try manually installing it, it MIGHT work.  I've changed the OS requirements to allow certain apps to install on newer OSes but haven't tried installing on an older one.

raffa
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi jguerdat,

you are right, I am on android 2.3 gingerbread. I also thought this was the problem...but ....my wife has also a samsung s2 with android 4.x instead!! Same problem! Not working.

Perhaps I can try to install the .apk directly if i found where to download?

Thanks.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Also one of the problems I had with an older Android is lack of horse-power in the phone...

It just didn't have enough cpu power to make a decent playback ( tho other functions worked )

Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

raffa wrote:
Hi jguerdat,

you are right, I am on android 2.3 gingerbread. I also thought this was the problem...but ....my wife has also a samsung s2 with android 4.x instead!! Same problem! Not working.

Perhaps I can try to install the .apk directly if i found where to download?

Thanks.

Huh - 4.x should be fine.  Dunno what to tell ya.

Google "arlo apk download and you'll get various places to download the apk file.  Note that they're older versions and you need to be careful since they're unknown quantities.  You will also have to enable unknown sources to be able to install it and you'll also be on your own for updating it every time Arlo releases an update..  I should be able to pull the latest apk from my rooted phone if desired. 

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation