Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
bbirdsrp
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was participating in a thread about Arlo not allowing us to change the mode on Android devices, when someone came in and set the thread to moderated.

I cannot see moderated threads.

Why would you deny people the ability to see moderated threads? It does not make sense.

I'm getting the impression that Arlo is fanatically attempting to control discussions in order to minimize criticisms. Not a good look for a tech company.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bbirdsrp,

I apologize for the confusion. Over the weekend there were several threads discussing the same issue with the recent firmware release. When there are similar issues, we merge threads to keep the discussion consolidated to one thread so that when we update those threads with new information on that topic, all of those users receive the information.

This particular thread was moved incorrectly to a private board instead of being merged into the larger topic. I've resolved this and the thread is now public again.

JamesC

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bbirdsrp wrote:

I'm getting the impression that Arlo is fanatically attempting to control discussions in order to minimize criticisms. 

Really?  How many posts have you actually read?  There's significant criticism in a lot of threads, including some that are (in my opinion) over the top.  

bbirdsrp
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can't read moderated posts. I've never had that happen in a community before.

In the thread, before it was moderated, someone posted a link to another post that explained some of the issues. I couldn't read it.

Then the thread itself was set to moderated.

I cannot read it.  I don't happen to think I'm a special case (why would I be?), so therefore there has to be some kind of voodoo related to what, I have no idea.

It makes no sense to deny access to any discussion. Frankly, it does not speak well of community moderation. Either the web site settings are problematic, or the moderation is. Either does not speak well of a tech community.

bbirdsrp
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, you're a 'super user'.  Do you have a solution to why I cannot read a thread once it's been moved to moderation?

bbirdsrp
Aspirant
Aspirant

This was the thread link before it became moderated. I removed the protocol so the web software wouldn't automatically link it.

Could read it and participate in it before, then bammo, changed to Moderated-Post and I get this big ugly red blotch of a page telling me 'You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.'

Now, if you want to tell me this is a fantastic job of ensuring an open and welcoming environment for a newbie in the forum (but NOT a newbie online or in other forums), then I'm open to hearing what you have to say.

community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-App-will-not-allow-me-to-change-modes/m-p/1721402#M70235

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

My superuser status doesn't mean I have the forum privileges needed to manage access to posts.  I don't have those privileges.

There are forum guidelines, and (as is usual in all forums) the mods have the responsibility to deal with posts (and posters) that don't comply.  https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Welcome/ARLO-Community-User-Guidelines/m-p/1152424

I don't know why those particular posts were removed (which is what shifting them to "moderated" does) - but if you read the forum generally you'll quickly see that there are lots of recent posts that are very critical of the hardware, firmware, and services.  This is allowed under the guidelines.  And there are also some recent ones where posters attacked other posters or mods - which isn't within the guidelines.  In my opinion those posts should be removed (and perhaps posters banned).

Personally I think the forum would be more inviting if all posters took the guidelines seriously. 

Taking this from the top - are you currently having a problem with the Android app not letting you change modes?

bbirdsrp
Aspirant
Aspirant

There was no reason to moderate that thread. Everyone was cordial to each other if a bit frustrated because of the problem. And someone had posted that the server was screwed up and should be working now.

I was going to reply that yes, I just received access last night. But then, thread is gone.

My first exposure to Arlo "community" will most likely be my last.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bbirdsrp,

I apologize for the confusion. Over the weekend there were several threads discussing the same issue with the recent firmware release. When there are similar issues, we merge threads to keep the discussion consolidated to one thread so that when we update those threads with new information on that topic, all of those users receive the information.

This particular thread was moved incorrectly to a private board instead of being merged into the larger topic. I've resolved this and the thread is now public again.

JamesC

bbirdsrp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ah, OK. I couldn't figure it out.

Someone had linked the other topic, but it was private. And then this was made private.

I do understand about flipping the wrong bits.

Thanks for letting me know what happened.