Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Watching the Deer

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

deer12.jpg

Had lots of acorns this year... piled a few garbage cans of same in the woods for deer.

BTW, Regular Arlo cam is placed about 150 feet from base ...stuck onto metal pole. Put playback on 720p

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Backyard.... LI, NY

We have a small herd, several young males and a few does.maybe total 8....  One other larger male and doe pair

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jesse03
Aspirant
Aspirant

Beautiful!  Where was the shot taken?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Backyard.... LI, NY

We have a small herd, several young males and a few does.maybe total 8....  One other larger male and doe pair

Thumpersma
Apprentice
Apprentice

What a wonderful sight. BTW, I didn't know deer liked to eat acorns. If I could get some away from the dozens of squirrels who run rampant through my yard steeling them, I'd gather some up for the deer in the local woods. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The deer love acorns... We had a whole lot of acorns this year. I picked up about 150-175 gallons from the yard. Piled them out in the back knowing deers come for them when its hard to find greens.  ( and it keeps them from eating all the plants ! )

The Acorn is THE preferred deer food in the Eastern US. Where Oak trees are abundant, and acorns crops are heavy, the deer will be there. Given a choice between traveling great distances between bedding/security cover and feeding areas, or simply hanging out in a secure area with all the food you could eat, there's little reason for the deer to put themselves in potential danger by going elsewhere for food that is not quite as tasty, full of fats and starch, and so easily obtainable. In years of heavy acorn crops, deer may never even venture into that apple orchard - opting to hang tight on ridge tops and deep within deciduous forests feeding on acorns.

The acorn is low in protein content, but very high in fats and carbohydrates. They are easily digestible, their nutrients are readily absorbed, and they are processed and passed through the body quickly. Because these little nuts are so easily digestible, deer eat lots of them per day, which also gets them the protein content they need to be healthy. On a bumper year, deer can gain a lot of weight in just two weeks, while fawns and yearlings gain muscle, mass and bone while foraging on acorns. By late October, the deer has a thick slab of fat underneath the coat, and along the inside of the paunch.

Related Labels
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation