Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 20 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

After a recent break-in (nothing was stolen because my security system alarm scared him off), I installed two Arlo security cameras on the side and back of my house.  Well, I caught him (maybe; I suppose it could be a different person?) looking into my bedroom windows at 1 am a few nights ago.  I alerted the police, who came and collected the videos and filed a report.  However, this isn't very high priority for them because he didn't steal anything, and he didn't harm anyone (yet?!).  I am at a loss for what to do next.  I have showed the video to the local stores and they DO recognize him as a local person--most likely a neighbor of mine. I am a young woman living alone in a woodsy area off of a major highway.  Should I move?  Why did he come back knowing I was home and knowing that I have a security system?  How do I protect myself from this peeping tom/potentially worse if the police aren't doing anything?  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jus00zpjvozerjs/1456985514905.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2le1l67zee87gd/1456985543412.mp4?dl=0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gljohn0
Tutor
Tutor

I have done a number of things to insure my family's safety:

1)  CCDW:  me & my wife both went through the class (very informative) & practice at the range--great stress reducer

2)  Glock 19 w Viridian Tactical Light:  not only does a laser dissuade an intruder, but the tactical light is BLINDING.  A pump shotgun simply racking will cause everyone to run!

3)  Nightlock:  Install this at the entry doors to prevent kicking in the door (gives you time to assess the situation)

4)  Film on Glass Doors:  install a commercial film to prevent shattering the glass to gain entry

5)  Alarm System:  always on after work and through the night.

6)  Arlo Cameras

7)  Multiple biometric safes with my backups in different areas (office, bedroom, living room)

😎  Motion Lights Outside

9)  Trim overgrown landscape to limit hiding places

10)  Bright Flashlight:  1,000 lumens will blind them.

Our family usually turns on the security system (stay mode) as soon as we return from work.  We're not all that concerned with thieves or peeping Toms (all windows have faux wood blinds), it's the home invaders.  Nonetheless, all of the above helps . . . an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  Would be nice to see a big dog gnaw on the trespasser.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's really a police question. They're the only way you can get satisfaction. Take it up with the chief, district attorney or even your own lawyer. I'd think trespassing and peeping tom laws would potentially apply.

Bearscreek
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'd get a very big dog. Seriously. 

BurgleMeNoMore
Guide
Guide

My 'big dog' was home when the burglars entered through her pet door (security products now deployed and door shut whenever possible).  Police are aware, got $57 from homeowners insurance after my $1k deductible but lost a laptop and iPad with an abundance of personal info, photos not to mention my sense of security (I have info on backup but not 100%). 

I am am also a single, female who lives alone. If the guy has warrants for other offenses, he could be found and jailed for that. But most likely only for a short time.  I believe I may know none of my burglars and his rap sheet includes several offenses of shooting into people's homes and he has many friends who also steal etc and he might tell them about you. Often burglars return to come steal the new stuff you had to buy to replace your old stuff or if they're bored they may just come by from time to time to rattle your nerves.  

Im not trying to scare you and my story is true and much worse than you can imagine. I'm planning to move. Drastic measure?  Maybe, but these people and those they hang around with don't care about you and can/will/may hurt you financially or otherwise. You asked for advice or information and I am responding with the same level of honesty, care and concern that I would for a friend or family member. 

I wish you the best in whatever you do, but mostly I hope for a quick return of your sense of safety and security. No one can help me but me and I couldn't describe my pain or rage if a burglar hurt my dog for defending me or 'her' territory. 

Bearscreek
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yeah, you'd be surprised at the size of a friend who was able to go in my doggie door sideways (with my permission), and I don't even have the largest doggie door they make.  I also agree that just about the worst thing they could do is hurt my dog.  I just hope it works out well for the OP.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks everyone.  Thinking over the two scenarios made this a bit clearer for me.  Either:

(A) burgler entered house, knows I have a security system, DOESN'T CARE about said security system, and came back for a second try or "just to see"/torment me some more

(B) it is a DIFFERENT person, who happens to be more interested in my apartment at night when I am home (yikes), and it means that my personal safety is potentially at risk and also means that i've had two different people attempting to victimize me within a month's time frame

Neither of these possibilities are good.  I have decided to move--I'm really really angry that I have to, because I've moved four times in the past year and thought I was done with all of that.  Also, it will potentially take me a few months to find a place that is both in my price range and also in a much safer location.  I've determined that it is actually more economical for me to buy a condo/townhouse, as it is rare to find affordable rents in those kinds of neighborhoods but the mortgage rates are quite affordable.  Renting options here tend to be in worse neighborhoods.  

I just hope someone doesn't come back in the time it takes me to figure out how and where to move.  I refuse to live my life in fear, but I also refuse to become a victim of more crime.  People suck.

BurgleMeNoMore
Guide
Guide

I've implemented a huge number of 'off the shelf' and Internet suggestions (as well as a few creative ones of my own) to make my place safer until I relocate and I'd share them if you want to provide contact info of sorts.  A few of them are:  motion sensors on doors, Arlo, mace, stungun, glasses/keys/phone on me at all times, 911 EMergency and non-emergency phone numbers programmed (there's a security app called Isis I think), extra locks on Windows, bottles/cans around area where the person might jump my fence, nails on a board on top of the fence, red goo on top off the fence so if they run off they can be easily spotted by police, lock up valuables in a large heavy case or lock it to a permanent fixture, rear view mirrors placed where I can quickly glance at who/what is behind me without physically turning or alerting the person watching, notifying neighbors, daily/evening check ins with friend family member.  A couple others but prefer not to list them. 

Best set of luck to you and I certainly agree, it both sucks to be put in this type of position and people that steal or get thrills from scaring others really suck. Most steal to sell your stuff to buy drugs. Many times there are internet sites where you can input the persons name or part of it and the town they may live in and you can see some or all of their prior arrests and access all or part of THEIR address. Another site that can inform you when they are in jail or out. 

JRoberts76
Guide
Guide
He touched your window--there would be fingerprints. Did the cops take fingerprints when you were broken in to?

Hell, I'd show the video to a tv station and ask if they could run it. Print out a good screenshot and post pictures on every tree in the neighborhood. Idiot cops. They'd arrest him if it was their house. Get names.
Jettaman167
Initiate
Initiate
That's a terrific idea! Make it uncomfortable for the police chief and the creep. It's your home, make him move.
indyjohn
Tutor
Tutor

Well given the amount of time even a very responsive police department can deliver..  Our Foundin Fathers answered your question for you a couple hundred years ago..  In our constiution there is the 2nd Amendment.     Stay safe you are your own first line of defense for your safety. 

Gregator
Guide
Guide
As a Officer in my city there isn't much to follow up on. If I took the report I would attempt to get prints however it can take months if not a year or more. AFIS is so congested it's unreal. We will get prints back off of stolen cars that were solved and done with over a year ago and or court would have already gone by. However, chances are you are right about seeing this person and or him being your neighbor. Most burglary cases/reports I've conducted and led to an arrest either on seen or later have been a "friend" neighbor, or someone on the same street or directly connected within a few houses away. It's all about easy hits. Glass door, sees a new tv, smashes door, grabs tv and walks two houses down and goes inside. Glass door, with blinds, can't see tv. Doesn't really know where to go after breaking glass. Causes the suspect to pause. Anything that can slow the hit down is extremely effective. Next good thing is bright spot lights. Scares some off thinking they are now in the open. Long story short. Deterrents are all you have. Ask to be placed on the "watch list" it will run down chain of command to patrol level and they will document on their patrol log that they have driven through the area.
Mannyman
Aspirant
Aspirant
That's sad, that the police did nothing so you have to get hurt or let the situation escalate before anything gets done.
theclutch
Star
Star

Dare I say it?  Just as a previous poster alluded...get a gun and learn how to use it.  Gun safety classes are interestingly made up mostly of women.  In our area 2/3 or 75% of the class are women.  Even my wife was surprised when she took the class.  If a "burglar" was snooping around your house when he/she KNEW you were there, he/she IS NOT just looking to rob you.  I'm afraid that's a fact.  Protect yourself.  IF you even manage to call the police, I'm afraid it would be too late by the time they got there (unless they are next door).

gljohn0
Tutor
Tutor

I have done a number of things to insure my family's safety:

1)  CCDW:  me & my wife both went through the class (very informative) & practice at the range--great stress reducer

2)  Glock 19 w Viridian Tactical Light:  not only does a laser dissuade an intruder, but the tactical light is BLINDING.  A pump shotgun simply racking will cause everyone to run!

3)  Nightlock:  Install this at the entry doors to prevent kicking in the door (gives you time to assess the situation)

4)  Film on Glass Doors:  install a commercial film to prevent shattering the glass to gain entry

5)  Alarm System:  always on after work and through the night.

6)  Arlo Cameras

7)  Multiple biometric safes with my backups in different areas (office, bedroom, living room)

😎  Motion Lights Outside

9)  Trim overgrown landscape to limit hiding places

10)  Bright Flashlight:  1,000 lumens will blind them.

Our family usually turns on the security system (stay mode) as soon as we return from work.  We're not all that concerned with thieves or peeping Toms (all windows have faux wood blinds), it's the home invaders.  Nonetheless, all of the above helps . . . an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  Would be nice to see a big dog gnaw on the trespasser.

Related Labels
Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 20 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation