arlo as baby monitor

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Jordandawg05
Guide
Guide

i bought one camera 20 days ago and i've been happy with for the most part. 

We are having a baby end of year and i wanted to see if any users are using this camera as a baby monitor? i do realize the camera does not have voice so a supplemental voice radio is a must with this option. i just wanted to see if some use it as such and how it works.

thanks ! 

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm not sure I'd use it as a baby monitor.  You'd likely have to mount it close and turn up sensitivity to see small motions that would alert you.  However, it's not a full-time viewing device and that's what I'd prefer to use, not to mention sound.

I guess it depends on exactly what you expect to use any system for...

Jordandawg05
Guide
Guide

Thanks for your feed back. you're right we may prefer a full time viewing capability. i guess you can do that with Arlo but battery life will be short...

slash32487
Tutor
Tutor

now i bought the q for baby monitoring. i was wondering if i can connect it to a monitor for full time veiwing 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

slash32487 wrote:

now i bought the q for baby monitoring. i was wondering if i can connect it to a monitor for full time veiwing 

Yes you can with a maybe...

First thing is you need some sort of output port on you tablet/laptop/computer... many today have a HDMI port ( the ipad uses an adapter and the lowly kindle fire has a mini hdmi too ) HDMI will allow the best video and audio if your using the Q which could be fed into a tv/monitor

BTW, there are also wireless transmitters for HDMI ( I use MYwireless TV2 and it works great, it has a transmitter and receiver )

Once you have it ported to your TV the Q camera will play live view without the problems of batteries... not only that, but better video and audio too

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

An update on this. The Q camera works well with live streaming for at least an hour (I stopped my test at one hour) using either a browser or app.

Hometheatremave
Guide
Guide

I have the Arlo Q with the Arlo app running on my IPad 2 (IOS). I have the IPad 2 plugged into A/C and the Auto Sleep (or whatever it's called) set to "OFF".

I started the Arlo app 1 1/2 hours ago with the Arlo Q camera showing Live. And it's still showing everything Live, including sound, 90 minutes later. It has never reset or shutdown.

So it's seems that it would be perfect as a baby monitor.

Jordandawg05
Guide
Guide

I bought the Q few days ago and it seems to work well .  i like that it records motion/sound ...i also have had a nest and i want the CVR feature which arlo does have that but with an added cost of 10 since its the first arlo q with my current nest i would pay 5 since its my second camera. 

is there anything drastic that is diff than nest? i know i can have it record ( free) motion and sound for 15 seconds ( i wish it was mroe than 15 seconds though). 

thanks, 

Hometheatremave
Guide
Guide

You can record video and sound for up to 120 seconds for free. That setting is under "Modes".

Jordandawg05
Guide
Guide

Thanks, i found this option right after i posted.  

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation