Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wired Power option for wireless cameras.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
mdroyal
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 5 cameras and on 2 cameras that receive a lot of motion depending upon the rechargable battery that is used sometimes need to be changed every 4 days. It would be very helpful to offer a wired option retrofit (Heck I even buy a new camera!) so that active cameras could be plugged in to supply power. 

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mdroyal,

While there is currently not an accessory to convert Arlo Wire-free cameras to wired, you may be interested in the wired Arlo Q. For more information on the Arlo Q, see here: Introducing Arlo Q™

JamesC

Jeddeth
Guide
Guide

mdroyal wrote:

I have 5 cameras and on 2 cameras that receive a lot of motion depending upon the rechargable battery that is used sometimes need to be changed every 4 days. It would be very helpful to offer a wired option retrofit (Heck I even buy a new camera!) so that active cameras could be plugged in to supply power. 

Wired Option retrofit would be amazing! Netgear please!?!?

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

mdroyal wrote:

New batteries every four days? Are you kidding? You most strikingly exceeded Wireless Arlo's use-case of 4-minute videos per day. Return the system to your point of purchase asap. Arlo is not for you. You don't understand Arlo.

mdroyal
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Arlo system is working very well it's just that the most active cameras need the best rechargable batteries to last longer. I've found that the cameras require really good rechargable batteries. I have no idea of what you mean by "Arlo's use-case of 4 minute videos per day" I can find nothing anywhere about that but the system is working well for me EXCEPT for the most active cameras eating rechargeable batteries. I have found that good regular batteries will last 3 or 4 weeks and if I have to change rechargeables more often than once a week it's probably because it's a batch of rechargeables that are less than the best. 

Arlo Q would work but I'd rather not run data cable all over the building. I've found that the big advantage of Arlo is "Place and play" with the disadvantage being on a 5 camera system going through 20 batteries a month. Rechargeables seem to be a better option if I can find the right battery brand that I can afford. 

mdroyal
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just curious about the Arlo Q. Is there only a power cable that runs to the unit and it transfers data wirelessly? Or is there ethernet that needs to be run to the camera? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

mdroyal wrote:

I have no idea of what you mean by "Arlo's use-case of 4 minute videos per day" I can find nothing anywhere about that

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-can-I-extend-my-Arlo-Wire-Free-camera-s-bat...

This article actually sez 5 minutes per day but we're all in the ballpark with 4.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

mdroyal wrote:

Just curious about the Arlo Q. Is there only a power cable that runs to the unit and it transfers data wirelessly? Or is there ethernet that needs to be run to the camera? 

The regular Arlo Q camera has only a USB power cable to a ac adapter... the data is transmitted over your HOME WIFI setup.

The Q PLUS works the same way but ALSO has the option of using ethernet with power or POE.  So you can use it with just a power cord or ethernet

It also has a sd card slot so the camera will record to it if internet connection is lost.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation