Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Carlos73
Tutor
Tutor

Hello and good morning, I wonder if you can help me, I could really use some advice? I am looking to get the Arlo system in my house but I'm a little unsure which to go for, I only require 2 cameras, I was looking to get the Arlo wireless system, for wiring purposes,  one will be looking out of my front window and one out of the rear window of the house, the only problem is the front window looks onto a main road and has a pavement running past it, so I'm thinking the Arlo wireless will be forever going off when someone walks past? So I was wondering whether the Q or Q+ might be better on the front as it records all the time? The reason I'm getting it is because someone is spitting on my window and drawing stuff and I want to catch them.

The one on the rear isn't as bad it's a private yard and will be watching over my car.

And one other thing what is the main difference between the Arlo Q and the Q plus please?
Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First thing you must know is that the Arlo camera is battery power and using a PIR detection ( senses IR or refection ) to trigger recordings ( does not work thru windows ). Arlo cams are water tight so can in in or outside.

The Q cameras are AC powered and use a pixel base detection which will work thru windows but is rated for indoors only.

With BOTH cams, if facing thru a window, you can not use the IR illuminators as the light will reflect off glass and wash outthe picture.

In your setup, It does sound like the Q camera will be better suited for the front window as long as there is some light outside at night ( works fairly well in lower light conditons ) as it will record motion from detection thru the window. ( and no need to wory about high record levels due to AC )

In my option, IF you have good views from inside windows and some lighting outside, the Q cameras may be better,

As to the diff between the Q and Q+.  The Q plus has an additional slot for a mem card so once set up, it will record also to card if the internet connection drops. Also, the Q+ has the option of being run directly by ethernet cable and/or ethernet cable with power inside same.( POE)

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First thing you must know is that the Arlo camera is battery power and using a PIR detection ( senses IR or refection ) to trigger recordings ( does not work thru windows ). Arlo cams are water tight so can in in or outside.

The Q cameras are AC powered and use a pixel base detection which will work thru windows but is rated for indoors only.

With BOTH cams, if facing thru a window, you can not use the IR illuminators as the light will reflect off glass and wash outthe picture.

In your setup, It does sound like the Q camera will be better suited for the front window as long as there is some light outside at night ( works fairly well in lower light conditons ) as it will record motion from detection thru the window. ( and no need to wory about high record levels due to AC )

In my option, IF you have good views from inside windows and some lighting outside, the Q cameras may be better,

As to the diff between the Q and Q+.  The Q plus has an additional slot for a mem card so once set up, it will record also to card if the internet connection drops. Also, the Q+ has the option of being run directly by ethernet cable and/or ethernet cable with power inside same.( POE)

Carlos73
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you very much for that information, that's most helpful, I think I might go for the Q plus for the front then and I'll have to have a rethink about the rear, I appreciate that.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As a PS, bear in mind that the Q cameras hook into your own WIFI system...

The Arlo cams use a base ( which sets up it's own wifi system ) to which the cameras only connect to.

Either way make sure you have a good thru-put of absolute min of 1-2 mb/sec +  ( at max rez, the Q can peak at 1.5mb/sec each )

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation