Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

System for remote location?

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
KatieWard
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, I need to find a way to set up a security system at a site with no power or wifi. My home system is Arlo, so if possible I'd like to use Arlo for this system too. If it's possible, what's the best way of doing it?
9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The no power thing is the killer. You'd have to come up with a power source for the base (or a Q camera). Storage batteries would be possible but it would depend on either how to recharge them or how often you'd visit to replace them. The no WiFi part could be the easiest to overcome since you could possibly use a cellular hotspot but remember this would need power, too.

What are your thoughts?

KatieWard
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hmm thanks. Are there any particular storage batteries that would work well- I have no idea what to look for! I can visit regularly to change them over. I've really got no background knowledge about how to set it up so all suggestions welcome!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No idea what batteries.  I'd think marine 12v batteries (deep discharge) would be useful but sizing would depend on how long the system can go between charges/replacement.  How often would you be visiting the site?

KatieWard
Aspirant
Aspirant
At least every week but could get other people to change it too if needed and/or go more often myself. Thanks I'll look into the type you suggest.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Well, the batteries are only the start. You'll need an inverter (12V DC to 120V AC), too. They're not 100% efficient so there's power consumption there, too. So, you'll need a cellular hotspot, the base station and an inverter all running off the batteries. You'll have to determin e actual current draw (use the labels on the power supplies to give yourself some room for error or actually measure the current draw using, say, a Kill-A-Watt) to help determine how many batteries you may need to keep the system going for whatever time period is needed. And then double the batteries so one set is in use while another is charging for the next rotation.

It shouldn't be horrible to figure all this out but is going to take some time, effort and money to do this.

KatieWard
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you very much for your help... I have some idea where to start now but will be back if I hit an issue!
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
Could also get s solar solution to handle the charging. But have no experience with dimensioning. But it should be possible with that.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Here's a thread that could add a little more useful information:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Wire-Free-camera/Arlo-access-to-the-Internet/m-p/1079947

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Personally is your can afford it, I'd look more for a solar powered system  after you determine your power needs...

A basic 100w solar system with batteries should be enough for a cell modem, and the base , and even some 12v dc led lights for the location.

Cheapest system that works ok is here ; http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-Volts-Monocrystalline-Starter/dp/B00BFCNFRM

At about $200 for the system and deep cycle batteries ( about 100 amp hr total ) prob $100 each ( they show 35 ahr  @ $75 ) then add an invertor.

So have at least 2-3x the amount of storage needed for the bad cloudy days

Prob total costs about $500.

After above , having 12vdc and an invertor, you choices really do open up as to Arlo or other type security systems.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation