Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Questions about merging a Q camera into a non-Q system

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Ricknau
Star
Star

I have an Arlo Wireless system with the base station and 4 cameras.  If I buy an Arlo Q camera can it just become a 5th camera in that system, that is, can it be added to the existing account, link to the same base station, and be controlled along with the non-Q cameras from a single smart phone app?  The app I use now for the non-Q cameras doesn't have the motion detection setup features of the Q model.  I want to use the Q to trigger the other cameras.

I've only had the Arlo Wireless system for a week.  Should I return it and get a kit that includes both types in the box?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can almost get to where you want.  The one fly in the ointment is that the Q cameras are each separate when it comes to controlling them, even between themselves. Thus, you can't use a Q to trigger the wireless cameras.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can almost get to where you want.  The one fly in the ointment is that the Q cameras are each separate when it comes to controlling them, even between themselves. Thus, you can't use a Q to trigger the wireless cameras.

Ricknau
Star
Star

Arrgh!  Well that's kills the whole purpose.  I was hopeful based on this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Q-Arlo-Q-Plus-Installation/Have-5-Arlo-s-adding-Arlo-Q-can-I-h...

That thread talks about combining multi-model components and using a Q as a trigger. --  "This allows customers to use the Arlo Q as an event (motion detection) based powered camera."

And of course the VMK3500 kit is 4 wire-less and 2 Qs so I'd have think it is possible, maybe requiring a VMK-3500 base station.  Hence my last question-- should I (must I) I return the Arlo wire-less and buy the VMK3500 kit?

Edit: I can't find a user's manual for the VMK3500 so perhaps they do come as completly separate components from the Arlo wire-less system, as you are stating.  If so they should state this clearly in their advertizing because it is an easy assumption that if they are sold in a package that they would function as a unit.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suppose IFTTT could be a solution if you wanted to take it that far.

Ricknau
Star
Star
IF THIS from a Q, THEN THAT to a Wire-free? If possible then yes I would take it that far. This kind of setup could be a deal maker for a lot of potential buyers. I'm on the verge of returning my wire-free kit because of poor PIR detection outdoors. May do it anyway to exchange for the 3500 kit.

I get the impression from "take it that far" that the process might be fairly involved?

BTW, thanks for your involvement in these forums.
Ricknau
Star
Star

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have no Smart Home equipment to try IFTTT so I'm a poor resource for anything like this.  I'd suggest a new thread specifically about this to see if someone who is actually using Arlo cameras with IFTTT have any suggestions.

Ricknau
Star
Star
Good idea. Think I'll do that.
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation