Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Outdoor Security

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Ninety-9
Tutor
Tutor

Just signed up and after tons of looking around, I was attracted to the Arlo lineup (or possibly future lineup).  I especially like the Wire-Free's features....except that it's wire-free.  It's outdoor, weatherproof, modern, networkable to a larger system, and offers free cloud storage and control.

Little bit of background, several years ago, I spent about $1000 on a Lorex 4-cam system, Power over Ethernet, 1080p, night vision, and with some simply wiring, I could have it monitor around my home (1 acre).  I considered 8 cameras, but I don't have THAT much to look at.  The downside is that it's not very mobile friendly, the motion sensing is TERRIBLE (all false alerts), and the VPN program is finnicky, at best.

It seems that a lot of manufacturers are jumping on the smart-home bandwagon, but mostly on cameras you drop around the house and check on your smartphone.  There seems to be a HUGE missed opportunity on modernizing permanent install equipment, as well as the classic live-feed monitor I can put somewhere to see who's at the door without taking 2 minutes to fumble through my phone.

The Ario Q and Q plus actually seems to be better for my needs, being able to record sound and having a permanent mount/wire connection, but behold, these are not rated to be used outside.

The Wire-Free looks like it would also hit the mark, if I didn't have to climb up on ladders to change the battery or worry about one being stolen.

3 REPLIES 3
supaflyz
Guide
Guide

I think some users on here mod their arlo wireless cameras to use wires but thats too complicated for me.  I do like the arlo Q better to now that I have it.  It seems to pick up motion much faster (I think that's due to it having a power connection so it has constant power.  The wireless one have to wake up from sleep to detect motion.)  I also like it that it has sound.  I didn't think I need it at first, but its an added bonus.  I think some users on here order their batteries online which makes it much cheaper than buying form a big box store.  Just look around first. 

netcam
Star
Star

I requested and described how to add anti theft feature for Arlo cameras.

Can you add kudos to it?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Add-anti-theft-feature-to-Arlo-app/idi-p/1096727

Ninety-9
Tutor
Tutor

"I think some users on here mod their arlo wireless cameras to use wires but thats too complicated for me. I do like the arlo Q better to now that I have it. It seems to pick up motion much faster (I think that's due to it having a power connection so it has constant power. The wireless one have to wake up from sleep to detect motion.) I also like it that it has sound. I didn't think I need it at first, but its an added bonus. I think some users on here order their batteries online which makes it much cheaper than buying form a big box store. Just look around first. "

I've seen the mod, but I don't think that's a good solution.  It voids the warranty, plus it makes it quite a bit less waterproof.  It's something I'd think about doing, if I had no other choice, since it's easy enough for someone like me to do.  Unfortunately, it still doesn't solve the issue of the camera being more theft-proof.

The Q is definitely the more suitable option, if it was waterproof.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation