Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Buteomont
Tutor
Tutor

I just purchased a VMS3330C camera system and have begun installing it.  This system is advertised as "100% Wireless" on the box and on the shelf.  However, mine came with an Ethernet cable, and apparently it is required that it be hard-wired to my router; wi-fi does not seem to be supported.  This limits my camera placement options, and is very misleading.  Yes, the cameras are wireless, but in my book the system is "100% Wireless" only if it is 100% wireless. Surely a company like Netgear could have easily added wifi capability to the base station!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
trickytcamgeek
Luminary
Luminary

Buteomont wrote:

Yes, the cameras are wireless, but in my book the system is "100% Wireless" only if it is 100% wireless. Surely a company like Netgear could have easily added wifi capability to the base station!

I think you are splitting hairs.   If you read the box, I t is obvious that the base station is cabled.

Your wish may soon come true.  Have you done the product survey?  Its line of questioning seems to imply that they are considering a wireless base station, or better still, a MIFI device as base station.   That way your cameras could be anywhere, even in places where it would be impractical to have electricity.  You could put them in your car, or on a bike, or hidden in a place where they won't be noticed (e.g. Under a car, or behind an air vent in a building where you can't plug in a wired base station.)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry it doesn't fit your needs....

BTW, took a look at the box , and found the only places it say 100% wire free in in relationship with the cameras.

On the box ; Under requirements states, Hi-speed interenet connection  and Available port on your router.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
trickytcamgeek
Luminary
Luminary

Buteomont wrote:

Yes, the cameras are wireless, but in my book the system is "100% Wireless" only if it is 100% wireless. Surely a company like Netgear could have easily added wifi capability to the base station!

I think you are splitting hairs.   If you read the box, I t is obvious that the base station is cabled.

Your wish may soon come true.  Have you done the product survey?  Its line of questioning seems to imply that they are considering a wireless base station, or better still, a MIFI device as base station.   That way your cameras could be anywhere, even in places where it would be impractical to have electricity.  You could put them in your car, or on a bike, or hidden in a place where they won't be noticed (e.g. Under a car, or behind an air vent in a building where you can't plug in a wired base station.)

Buteomont
Tutor
Tutor

>I think you are splitting hairs.   If you read the box, It is obvious that the base station is cabled.

You are correct, I am splitting hairs, and I debated with myself about even posting it, out of fear that it would be taken as a whiny complaint.  However, I think Netgear would like to know if someone's expectations are not met after opening the box, so I posted.

As for being obvious that the base station is cabled, you must have a different box than I do!  Mine (shown below) makes me feel that they intentionally avoided the fact.  The opposite side of the box does list a requirement of "Available port on your router", but most of my wireless stuff says that, usually for initial configuration purposes.  That's the only indication that I can find anywhere on the box that the base station is not wireless.

No matter, it looks like a good camera system and I can make it work for my purpose.  Just a minor disappointment.

Now, regarding the MiFi  - a truly wireless camera you can put virtually anywhere?  That would be awesome!

IMG_20160718_131654.jpg

pnickel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Once you get going the fact that it has a wired base station won't be much bother..just set it up next to your router..mines about the length of the Ethernet cable from the router..from there you should find that the cameras are functional for quite some distance..the other cool thing is that they can be moved quickly and easily. This ability will grow on you.  I really like the fact that there are no wire with the cameras.  Once you get good with the programming you can really work the system..in some cases I have one camera trigger another camera to record for example..good,luck and have fun..  🙂

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As for being obvious that the base station is cabled, you must have a different box than I do!  Mine (shown below) makes me feel that they intentionally avoided the fact.

It appear that there was / is a box change... and splitting hairs I agree, but it states as below ... maybe that's why it changed

arlo box 004.JPG

Where your box states " 100% Wire Free, Free of power cords and wiring hassles "

My box states  " 100% Wire Free, The ONLY cameras free of ugly cords and wiring hassles"

Morse is faster than texting!
Buteomont
Tutor
Tutor

>Where your box states " 100% Wire Free, Free of power cords and wiring hassles "

>My box states  " 100% Wire Free, The ONLY cameras free of ugly cords and wiring hassles"

That's not misleading at all and is a much better statement.  I hope your box is the "newer" one!

73 de KA4KNG

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation