Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Netgear R7000 Router and buying Arlo

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
pskogly
Follower
Follower

Hi

i just updated my netgear r7000 firmware, and got the arlo base functions on my router?

Can i now buy a arlo camera without the arlo base? and then connect it to my router with out any problems?

Or do i need the base for first time use?

i donot have the arlo system today...

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just the camera. However, read through the recent posts of issues folks have had for some do's and dont's that may help you. If nothing fancy has changed from the original router settings you should be fine. Using not as an AP may cause issues. Read and decide.

ShockwavePyro
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just ordered my Nighthawk R7000 today... so can get rid of the base station on Ebay now 🙂 unless anyone here want to buy one? Only 3 weeks old? PM if interested.

ShockwavePyro
Apprentice
Apprentice

R7000 arrived today, and 20 mins setup and my Arlo Cam is connected to it... works great... anyone want to buy a base station?

Michael89
Aspirant
Aspirant
So I bought an net gear Dsl modem and router I it cost me under 300 hundred but does the Arlo base station what gets the signal or will the new router help should I get a 20 foot cable to place the router for Arlo closer so less blocking like walk in fridge or dry wall my clips get a green fuzz for a few Sec once a day at least I'm getting one bar of wifi on the camar new batteries all the time
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Michael89 wrote:
So I bought an net gear Dsl modem and router I it cost me under 300 hundred but does the Arlo base station what gets the signal or will the new router help should I get a 20 foot cable to place the router for Arlo closer so less blocking like walk in fridge or dry wall my clips get a green fuzz for a few Sec once a day at least I'm getting one bar of wifi on the camar new batteries all the time

It would help us understand your problem if the above was written more clearly.  I'll try to respond based on what I think you wrote.

It would seem that you bought an R7000 router.  Right now there's no firmware available from Netgear to enable using it to replace the base station for wireless cameras unless it shipped with v1.6.x installed.  A firmware update is in the works but hasn't been released yet.

That means you need to use the base station. The base station has a strong signal for the cameras so should be able to communicate with the cameras if properly positioned.  You say you have a 20 foot Ethernet cable so that allows you some latitude in placement.  Placing it as high as possible helps because there are fewer objects to block the WiFi signal. Generally, you'd want it fairly centrally located so all cameras get the same signal but walls, appliances, wiring, ductwork, etc. can all be factors so some additional positioning may be necessary - could be a couple of inches, could be feet.  The WiFi signal indicator on the app or web site in the Cameras view will give you at least a rough estimate of strength but quality can still be an issue depending on a wide variety of issues which we won't get into right now - first things first.

The WiFi signal strength and quality between the cameras and base station may be the reason your videos are less than optimal.  It can also be your DSL since DSL speed varies with distance from the phone company's equipment.  Use http://speedtest.net to test your connection speed.  Pay close attention to the upload speed - less than 1Mbs can cause video problems, too.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation