Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
smintz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an R6300V2 (AC1750) router. I see many extenders with different specs. What should I look for as to what I need that is compatable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just so aware, the Extender will not function with the cameras. Arlo base sets up it own wifi system to talk to the cameras only.

If your extender has an eithernet port on it, then you can reloate the base to a more central area of your location to get the best possible all round signal ( from base to cameras ). Also the extender should be able to have at least 1MB thru-put upstream for allowing the base to function properly ( min upload bandwith )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just so aware, the Extender will not function with the cameras. Arlo base sets up it own wifi system to talk to the cameras only.

If your extender has an eithernet port on it, then you can reloate the base to a more central area of your location to get the best possible all round signal ( from base to cameras ). Also the extender should be able to have at least 1MB thru-put upstream for allowing the base to function properly ( min upload bandwith )

smintz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Impossible to relocate base installer took ease at route of fiber in to house. Purchased extender. Will try in a week or so.
Thanks
Sudharshana
Aspirant
Aspirant
Does Arlo have diversity wifi or is it only 1x1?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TMK, it's just an single omni antenna.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd bet on1x1 but can't prove it.

Guide
Guide

I would just like to go on record saying that this DOES NOT EXTEND THE RANGE OF THE BASE STATION'S SIGNAL.Smiley Mad It extends the range of your ROUTER only. The base station has the same range as it always did; it has just been moved to a new location. Netgear also recommends (YouTube video, tip #2) that you get a second base station. This is also not an option as Netear does not sell the base station.Smiley Mad Only camera kits that include a base station.Smiley Indifferent

I know that the system uses 5 GHz wireless signals becuase I can see them on my phones wifi finder. Has anyone been able to clone and extend this signal? 

Now that would be a solution.Smiley Very Happy

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

1234567890123 wrote:

I would just like to go on record saying that this DOES NOT EXTEND THE RANGE OF THE BASE STATION'S SIGNAL.  It extends the range of your ROUTER only.

That is well known.... what we were referring to was simply as you stated, extend the range MEANT moving the base to a central location for reaching distant cams...maybe not exact english but I think what we were doing was pretty clear.

Or using an extender on a second base .

And yes , they don't sell bases separate ( don't know why ) but many buy a 2 or 3 pack of cams and then go back for another set ( and end up with two bases )

As to the 5 ghz, your wrong .....( only the Q cams can use 5ghz range )

See Arlo base specs below;

Base Station Specifications:

Interface port

Fast Ethernet

Indicator LEDs

Power, Internet, Camera, Smart Home, USB

IP configuration

DHCP

Antenna

Internal

Wireless range

300+ feet line of sight

Wireless

2.4 GHz

802.11n

Processor and memory

500 Mhz MIPS 74 K processor

128 MB Flash, 128 MB RAM

Certifications

FCC, IC, CE, UL

Operating temperature

32° to 122° F (0° to 50° C)

Dimensions

8.5 x 2.25 x 6.5 in (215.9 x 57.15 x 165.1 mm)

Weight

0.25 lbs (0.11 Kg)

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation