Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
maxkatz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought a 4-camera system from Best Buy. Here is my feedback so far. 

Installation. 

Installation is very simple as many are reporting. You are up and running within 5 minutes. 

Motiion detection

I see a delay of about 2-3 seconds and it's pretty consistent. 

Battries

I have only been running the cameras for a week, so far all cameras show full bars. 

Streaming

When I want to stream, streaming works about 60% of the time. 40% of the time it fails with some error message and I have to try again. Probably has to do with the distance (see next point)

Mobile app

The mobile app is low quality. It constantly times out for various reasons, streaming doens't work or it can't connect to the base station. This is a surpise as you can push app updates pretty often and fix bugs. 

Distance to the router

The system is wireless but you have to place the cameras pretty close to the base station. Placing them too far, even if you get 2-3 bars, they won't work property. They still record, but the video quality is very bad (not useful for security purpose).

Price

The 4-camera system is not cheap ($500) but the free plan is more than enough for us. This is nice as you don't have a montly fee. 

IFTTT

Would be a big plus. I know that many users have requested this and it would be nice if Netgear would confirm that they are working on it or not. 

Summary

It's a fine system but the software part just doesn't seem solid. I get a feeling it's flaky. It doesn't have the quality and solidenss of Nest products, for example. 

I still have a few days to return they system... not yet 100% convinced I will keep it. 

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

maxkatz,

Thank you for the great feedback. As you mention, failing to connect to your cameras to live stream could be related to interference from other devices or range from the base station. Some trial and error to find the best position for the base station may be in order for you to get the best performance. The cameras, when not detecting motion, are in a sleep state to conserve battery life. When motion is detected the cameras must then wake up in order to capture a recording. This results in a slight delay. For best performance take a look at the tips in the following article on camera position: How do I place my Arlo camera?

Regards,

JamesC

maxkatz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, ended up returning the cameras. I love the idea but the execution is lacking. Unless someone else comes up with a similar outdoor camera, I will go back to 1-camera system and add more cameras as I need. $500 was a little bit pricey for a system that's working only OK. I'd love the Arlo team to improve motion detection, battery life, release a better mobile app and add IFTTT integration. 

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation