Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
ArloNewbie
Follower
Follower

I was just wondering if the Arlo cameras have the ability to Pan, Tilt, and Zoom (PTZ)? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
David_NG
Arlo Employee Retired

Arlo™ Pan and Zoom feature gives you a perfect way to focus in on the high-def details of any live or recorded video. Just pinch and drag any image like you do with photos on your smart phone:

1. Launch the Arlo app on your iOS or Android phone or tablet, or log onto arlo.netgear.com.
2. Choose any live video or prerecorded video from your Arlo library.
3. Use the pinch gesture on your screen to zoom in and out of the video. Or use the zoom icon at arlo.netgear.com.
4. Move around the zoomed-in frame using the touch and drag gesture. Or use your mouse button at arlo.netgear.com.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
ArloTeam
Arlo Employee
Arlo Employee

Hello Arlo Newbie,

No, the Arlo cameras do not physically move on the mount. However, you do have the ability to digitally pan and zoom within the camera viewing angle.

Thank you for your interest!

Arlo Team

CJRC
Tutor
Tutor

How does this feature work? I've gone into the screen on both my Android phone and laptop, but nothing pans, tilts, or zooms? 

Am I missing a menu or control buttons somewhere in the app?

David_NG
Arlo Employee Retired

Arlo™ Pan and Zoom feature gives you a perfect way to focus in on the high-def details of any live or recorded video. Just pinch and drag any image like you do with photos on your smart phone:

1. Launch the Arlo app on your iOS or Android phone or tablet, or log onto arlo.netgear.com.
2. Choose any live video or prerecorded video from your Arlo library.
3. Use the pinch gesture on your screen to zoom in and out of the video. Or use the zoom icon at arlo.netgear.com.
4. Move around the zoomed-in frame using the touch and drag gesture. Or use your mouse button at arlo.netgear.com.

mark
Tutor
Tutor

Why is this function so slow, I am on my home network (which is gigabit) and trying to soom the camera but when I presss Save it just goes grey which I presume is the system thinking but I don't get zoom.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

mark wrote:

Why is this function so slow, I am on my home network (which is gigabit) and trying to soom the camera but when I presss Save it just goes grey which I presume is the system thinking but I don't get zoom.

Why system / broswer are you running on?   IOS had a problem like that in the past but it was corrected a couple updates back.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
mark
Tutor
Tutor

User error, kind of! While setting the zoom area is done under Settings>Camera Settings, the user then must go back to the Camera section of the app and start the stream to see the zoomed region. Right now the app gives zero feedback to the user that the zoom/pan change was made which is dumb. As good as this product is (by market review standards easy to set up is the threshold for a great product) the software just needs to get better. I hate to say it but it should be Nest-like.

musictechguy
Guide
Guide

Why can't you just pinch to zoom on a touchscreen device, like with other security cameras?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not enabled. Your only choice is to download and use software to zoom.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

ArloTeam wrote:

Hello Arlo Newbie,

No, the Arlo cameras do not physically move on the mount. However, you do have the ability to digitally pan and zoom within the camera viewing angle.

Thank you for your interest!

Arlo Team

Does the "pan & zoom" feature actually allow blacking out parts of camera wiewing area? Will the camera ignore the blacked out viewing area from recording?

Thanks for any comments.........

Paul FCCL

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Paul_FCCL,

The pan and zoom feature only manipulates what is visible when the camera records or streams. It does not change the area in which the IR sensor will detect motion.

JamesC

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

JamesC wrote:

Paul_FCCL,

The pan and zoom feature only manipulates what is visible when the camera records or streams. It does not change the area in which the IR sensor will detect motion.

JamesC

Thanks for answering that. I was hoping to prevent the many false motion detections from cars driving by (from 70+ feet away) by hiding the road. This seems to be a very nagging issue, I may just have to return this camera if I cant use it in the front of the house. It's not aimed to the street, however it picks up just about every car that drives by.

Thank You.

Paul FCCL

variedthings
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've followed these instructions, and it won't zoom.  Can you provide troubleshooting steps?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Using the browser, go to settings and then camera settings.  Select a camera and scroll down to the image displayed under pan and zoom.  Click on the camera icon just above the top right corner of the image and move the adjustment boxes until you get what you want.  Using the app is the same except you use your fingers to do the pinch zoom and location.

Be sure to hit Save when you're satisfied.

Twosmiles
Tutor
Tutor

Presume by Save you mean Done?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Thanks for answering that. I was hoping to prevent the many false motion detections from cars driving by (from 70+ feet away) by hiding the road. This seems to be a very nagging issue, I may just have to return this camera if I cant use it in the front of the house. It's not aimed to the street, however it picks up just about every car that drives by.

Paul

I believe that's part of your problem.... trying to view to much area,  ie; seeing the road at 70ft.

Now the Arlo cam is more sensitive ( the PIR unit ) on the sides and corners, but the range is to far and picks up all crazy motion as you know. Best is if you have the camera about 7-9 ft up and try to view a field that is about the distance the IR can see ( max about 10 m straight out, less on angled sides.

If the field of view is lessened and the angle is downward, many of the false triggers will stop.

Morse is faster than texting!
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Paul_FCCL wrote:

In addition to what's already been suggested - installing the camera at more of an angle - others have also reported reducing, if not eliminating, false positives by mounting the camera upside down. This changes slightly the orientation of the IR sensor - I believe it is beneath the lens - and should help reduce trigger events from passing traffic/objects in the distance that are outside the camera's field of view.

twospirits
Guide
Guide

In reference to pan, tilt & Zoom, according to this review of the Arlo system, it states...

If you don't want to stand them upright, various mounts are available for affixing them to walls, tree branches or other hard-to-reach areas. Unfortunately you can't pan or tilt cameras remotely, but Netgear says that such mounts are in development.

Now while it's true one can't believe everything they read on the interent, I am curious about that statement. Is that referring to the various mounts being in development or that a pan and tilt mount is in development. If so, how would it work? Would the base unit send out two signals, one to the camera for zoom and one for the camera attachment to pan the camera?

Either way, I am still going to get the system in a week, but Netgear should add another model to its line up that does pan, tilt and zoom the device remotely. 

JCBMJB
Star
Star
Pan and zoom feature does not work since software "upgrade". Please correct this and send out a fix. Also, post directions for this function in your manual. Pan and Zoom does not work in app.
JCBMJB
Star
Star
Pan and zoom feature does not work since software "upgrade". Please correct this and send out a fix. Also, post directions for this function in your manual. Pan and Zoom does not work in app.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JCBMJB,

Pinch the desired location on the thumbnail to zoom in/out. After you have the level of zoom you want click the Save button to commit the changes.

Please let me know if you are still having trouble.

JamesC

ourtemp1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem with cars in the background tripping the motion. I use black tape across the top of the lens to block the road.

Discussion stats