Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Configuration options for the wireless base unit?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
vgr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi. What configuration options do I have on the base station included with the Arlo wire free cams. There are at least two things I want to adjust or change. Wireless channel and the signal strength. 

Is is that possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

vgr wrote:

What configuration options do I have on the base station included with the Arlo wire free cams. There are at least two things I want to adjust or change. Wireless channel and the signal strength. 

Is is that possible?

No... the Arlo base while functional as a wifi sytsem is not accessible ...nor is it able to link to other wifi devices other than the cameras

Signal strength is pretty strong, IMO ( about 10db over my home unit, YMMV ).

The channel is set automatically to the same as your home wifi router if place close ( about less then 15 ft or so ).

There is a work around to change the Arlo channel but may not be permanent if the Arlo loses power or is reset....

Change your Home wifi system channel, and then reboot-reset fully the Arlo base. The Arlo base wil change to the current home channel... then you change your home system back.... the two channels will be different till a reset of the Arlo.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

vgr wrote:

What configuration options do I have on the base station included with the Arlo wire free cams. There are at least two things I want to adjust or change. Wireless channel and the signal strength. 

Is is that possible?

No... the Arlo base while functional as a wifi sytsem is not accessible ...nor is it able to link to other wifi devices other than the cameras

Signal strength is pretty strong, IMO ( about 10db over my home unit, YMMV ).

The channel is set automatically to the same as your home wifi router if place close ( about less then 15 ft or so ).

There is a work around to change the Arlo channel but may not be permanent if the Arlo loses power or is reset....

Change your Home wifi system channel, and then reboot-reset fully the Arlo base. The Arlo base wil change to the current home channel... then you change your home system back.... the two channels will be different till a reset of the Arlo.

vgr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your information. If the base system use the same channel as my home system will it create some interference for my home network?

Actually I want to lower the signal strength since the cams are going to be placed within a few feet away from the base station and I do not need to pollute the whole house with unnecessary radiation. But that's not possible as I understand.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

vgr wrote:

Thank you for your information. If the base system use the same channel as my home system will it create some interference for my home network?

Actually I want to lower the signal strength since the cams are going to be placed within a few feet away from the base station and I do not need to pollute the whole house with unnecessary radiation. But that's not possible as I understand.

Yes, i always thought that was an interference problem waiting to happen...BUT, the heavy thinkers at Netgear say when close together and hooked into the router it works better... got me. 

But have not had any problems and my base and home router are about 5 feet apart.

Right, no access into arlo base for any setttings

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation