Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Battery Concern - Potential Customer

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Moll2969
Aspirant
Aspirant

All,

I am a potential customer, and I would need 5 systems.  I see there's 4 batteries per system? So I would need to replace 20 batteries.

I'm trying to realistically see how often people replace batteries.  Three systems would be outside, and two would be inside. 

I read a post which suggested the Ultrafire CR123 batteries, at 10$ for 2. So everyone's paying $20 per camera for new batteries? 

If I'm having to replace batteries every month, or even less, for 5 systems, at 20 bucks a pop ($100 a month), this system doesn't seem so great anymore.

Can anyone help give their experience in this area?  This is literally the only thing holding me back.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
paulsmitz
Apprentice
Apprentice

The ultrafire batteries are rechargable... so its $20 per camera full stop... there are also cheaper rechargable batteries available but they are not "chipped" meaning they can be under / over charged if you aren't careful with them and this can make them explode potentially. So it is probably worth sticking to the known chipped batteries like the ultrafire greys.

There is nothing stopping you from buying normal single use batteries which are around $1.39 each and will last about 3 - 6 months with the recommended use and are not explosive.

The advantage of the rechargables is that they can be recharged so will pretty much be a single purchase. However they don't last as long as normal single use batteries so will need charging more often. 1-2 months per charge seems about normal.

So to sum up you will be removing the batteries more often with rechargables but won't be buying new ones... but they are a more expensive outlay initially and will cost you less in the long run!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
paulsmitz
Apprentice
Apprentice

The ultrafire batteries are rechargable... so its $20 per camera full stop... there are also cheaper rechargable batteries available but they are not "chipped" meaning they can be under / over charged if you aren't careful with them and this can make them explode potentially. So it is probably worth sticking to the known chipped batteries like the ultrafire greys.

There is nothing stopping you from buying normal single use batteries which are around $1.39 each and will last about 3 - 6 months with the recommended use and are not explosive.

The advantage of the rechargables is that they can be recharged so will pretty much be a single purchase. However they don't last as long as normal single use batteries so will need charging more often. 1-2 months per charge seems about normal.

So to sum up you will be removing the batteries more often with rechargables but won't be buying new ones... but they are a more expensive outlay initially and will cost you less in the long run!

Moll2969
Aspirant
Aspirant

So you've gotten 3-6 months out of single use batteries, and 1-2 months out of the rechargeable?  I've read concerns where people are only getting days out of their batteries.  I understand it has to do with the way it is set-up and triggered. But after all initial set-up is complete, i'm wondering how often we'll have to be changing batteries.

Thanks

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Remember that the spec use of the cameras is only 4 mins per day on Optimized video ( best for quality vs battery usage ) so If this is a business it may not be enough or a good fit. Aslo that these cameras operate at 2.4ghz ( wifi ) so building contruction can play an improtant part for distance ( you have to keep the base central to the cameras for best area coverage )

As mentioned many get 3-6 months with normal use ( OEM batteries ) and aprox 45-50 days with rechargeables but there have been some saying they've been getting way less , like 3 weeks from normal batteries.

3 weeks on normal batteries = something not right... be it heavy usage, bad signal connection, or just plain defective units.

btw, If your thinking of li-ion rechargeables make sure they are of known brand with a good matched charging system.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
billbradley70
Aspirant
Aspirant

Worst decision I made was buying these cameras. I have tried several different batteries and they all die pretty quickly. Tried to adjust settings as described in this forum, to no avail. Goof concept, Netgear, though very disappointed with its execution. Definitely not recommended.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

billbradley70,

How long are your batteries lasting? The expected life for the recommended batteries for Arlo is around 4-6 months with normal usage. See here: What is the battery life for NETGEAR Arlo wireless cameras and how can I extend their life?

It could also be an issue with the location of the cameras that is causing the battery drain, rather than your camera settings/usage. Interference or poor signal strength can cause the cameras to struggle maintaining a connection with the base station, resulting in battery drain. Consider relocating your base station and be sure to limit nearby proximity of any other wireless devices/obstructions that could potentially be interfering.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation