Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
arlocurious
Tutor
Tutor

Anyone know if the motion detction on the Arlo Q will work thru windows?

Wireless Arlo does not (per other posts.)

I found the following in the FAQ, but did not see info on windows.

How well does motion detection work on Arlo Q?

Motion can be detected as far as 15 feet away. In addition, up to 3 motion detection “zones” can be set up so that motion in detected in specific areas within the camera frame.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm using a Q to monitor outdoors through a window. The pixel-based motion detection, as opposed to the wireless PIR, works fine through two panes. Don't forget to turn off night vision since the IR illuminators will reflect off the glass.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No way to tell until they get into distribution/use.

MartinBekkelund
Guide
Guide

I'd really like someone from Netgear comment on this one. I'm considering the Q, but the number of devices I'm buying depends on the answer.

In comparance, I have a Zavio F3210 where motion detection works through windows, so it should be possible.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm using a Q to monitor outdoors through a window. The pixel-based motion detection, as opposed to the wireless PIR, works fine through two panes. Don't forget to turn off night vision since the IR illuminators will reflect off the glass.

MartinBekkelund
Guide
Guide

Excellent, thanks!

kurtk
Star
Star

I'm doing the same, but my Q keeps turning the IR illuminators back on after a day or two even though "night vision" is set to off. Have you had this issue?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've had this with a firmware update but that's it. Maybe try a power cycle on the camera?

goingtoapogo
Initiate
Initiate

I do not have Arlo Q, just the basic wire-free Arlo. The cameras do not detect motion outside a window.  I can view the camera and see there are things going on but it does not pick up and motion or record it.  I went up to my window and waved right at the camera and nothing. Useless.  VEry disappointing.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You just don't understand the technology.  The use of a passive IR detector behind glass won't work because the IR is blocked by the glass.  There was never a claim that the wireless cameras would work looking through a window.  The Q cameras do because they use a pixel-based detection scheme rather than IR.

Move your camera outdoors and it will strat working.

RussJack
Aspirant
Aspirant
You seem to be the only person that says the Arlo system even works! I have false triggers constantly. With detection send set to40%. !!!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Actually many, but not all, of us have reasonably working systems.

The biggest issue is to understand and work with the limitations of the detection system, passive IR.  Without knowing how you're aiming the cameras, what goes on when the "false" recordings are made, etc., it's all Internet-based troubleshooting.  Poor placement/aiming can produce increased lag in detection and, hence, recordings so what was moving is no longer in view.  It's a fact of life and no one system will fit everyone's bill.

If you want some help, post some screenshots and descibe the situation.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation