Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
maily
Initiate
Initiate

I know an older post says this is impossible. However, I'd like to understand why. Is the video stream encrypted in some way? I have an existing zoneminder installation with around 5 cameras. I'd love to buy three Arlo cameras for outside use. However, I have no need for the monthly service. Has anyone inspected the stream between the basestation and Netgear's servers to see if the video is accessible? What about between the cameras and the basestation, or is there no way to do that?

I really wish a company like netgear would step up and make the device accessible for those of us who are a little more technically oriented, instead of trying to corral users into a monthly fee. You'll get those users anyway, but let us techies buy/use your equipment as well, please!?

4 REPLIES 4
DaneA
Master
Master

Hi maily,

About your concern, I hope this would enlighten you.   According to Netgear's product manager, Arlo transmits Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) data from the camera to the server, which is then pushed to the Arlo mobile and browser apps "using an industry standard secure Transport Layer Security (TLS)."  This would mean that RTSP stream is encrypted and  cannot be used to integrate with other apps/software.

Furthermore, you may take advantage of the Arlo Basic Plan which is for free since you do not want to pay for anything.  check this link for more information: What are the available Arlo subscription plans and how much cloud storage is available?

Regards,

DaneA

Arlo Team

maily
Initiate
Initiate

That's a real shame. The free level only gives 7 days...with my Zoneminder server I can keep up to a year. I hope you consider changing your business model in the future, or at least expanding it with an open option. In the meantime, I won't be a customer.

Jamesodell
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just got a netgear arlo.
Have it for two days not very happy whith it I think I will return it.it not all you say it is.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jamesodell,

Welcome to the community! I am sorry that you did not have a positive initial impression of Arlo. What is it about the system that makes you unhappy? Arlo does have some complexities and takes a little time to get used to. Please let us know if there is anything we can help you with!

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation