Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ARLO Q 1080p - new AC powered camera

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
armoredsaint
Apprentice
Apprentice

I know it's pre-order, but thoughts on this? It's a small first step, still expensive at $220 per camera and for indoor use only.

6 REPLIES 6
R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

I LOVE it!   I've been hoping I could one day replace my Dropcams -- AC is the way to go (never cared for batteries)! 

Does anybody know for certain that it's compatible with or can be added to our current battery-only systems (I have 4 and have been wanting to buy that 5th camera for a while)?

I also love the idea -- like my Dropcams -- that the Arlo Q will always be ON!  I'd like more information especially about how to monitor it and look at past videos (such as my Dropcams which I can do for anything recorded in the 7 days).

The $219 is a little stiff (esp. when you can purchase an "add-on" battery-powered Arlo for only about $149), but I'd pay it and forget about it.  This is a VERY nice step forward.

ash31
Guide
Guide

Having a wired camera in some locations, with the added benefit of sound, would be a huge benefit, and I'll be buying some. Recently I've been experimenting with adapting a wireless Arlo to take a power feed from external battery, but a purpose-built product is obviously preferable, and I didn't want to have to install a competitor's product for this purpose as Arlo's functionality is perfect for my own needs.

But it would be useful to know what makes the Q indoor only: is it lack of weatherproofing, or temperature limitations, or what? For example, I'd like to install a wired Q outside in temperatures that dip to 0 Fahrenheit, but it would be mounted under a roof overhang and 100% protected from any direct rain or snow.

Can someone from Arlo comment on this?

HeatherABC
Apprentice
Apprentice

I will eventually get one or two of these to do the same thing. Especially after I see how the IFTTT support turns out. 

R_Lowe wrote:

I LOVE it!   I've been hoping I could one day replace my Dropcams -- AC is the way to go (never cared for batteries)! 

Does anybody know for certain that it's compatible with or can be added to our current battery-only systems (I have 4 and have been wanting to buy that 5th camera for a while)?

I also love the idea -- like my Dropcams -- that the Arlo Q will always be ON!  I'd like more information especially about how to monitor it and look at past videos (such as my Dropcams which I can do for anything recorded in the 7 days).

The $219 is a little stiff (esp. when you can purchase an "add-on" battery-powered Arlo for only about $149), but I'd pay it and forget about it.  This is a VERY nice step forward.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ash31,

Arlo Q by design is not intended for outdoor use. It is not a weatherproof device as stated in the comparison article: Arlo Wire-Free compared to Arlo Q

Any use of the Arlo Q device outdoors is not advised by NETGEAR as this would risk damaging the device.

JamesC

ash31
Guide
Guide

Thanks JamesC, yes I can understand why it might not be as weatherproof as the wire-free camera, although  with some sensible precautions to keep it away from water such as under a wide overhang it should be fairly robust.

On the other hand my wire-free outside cameras are doing incredibly well here in Colorado at 9,300ft elevation, 60" of snow so far this year and sub-zero temps, so I suppose I could buy a lot of replacement +123 batteries for the cost of a Q camera, and just keep the wire-free cameras well-fed.

One of the main reasons I chose Arlo over competing wired camera products is the fact they are wire-free which makes mounting inside the house so much easier without ugly power cords. But outside is less of a challenge for wiring and the 1080p is tempting for even better clarity.

Kudos to Arlo for a great product.

CloudHopper
Apprentice
Apprentice

Does the digital zoom work only on the live stream or on recordings as well?
The recording compression is too high for digital zoom on Arlo wire-free, so I'm wondering if the same issue would exist on Arlo Q?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation