Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

wi-fi distance

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
bluffqb
Follower
Follower

I have a direct line of sight from a 2nd story window with ethernet and RocketM5 airmax base that is approx 200ft. Will the ARLO VMC3030 maintain an active connection at this distance? This is for a parking lot cam that allows us to know when guests have returned in the evening.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Only testing would tell. Anything that interferes in the signal could easily wreck it at that distance.

Tommac has used a parabolic reflector to increase the distance - maybe you can PM him for details.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

bluffqb wrote:

I have a direct line of sight from a 2nd story window with ethernet and RocketM5 airmax base that is approx 200ft. Will the ARLO VMC3030 maintain an active connection at this distance? This is for a parking lot cam that allows us to know when guests have returned in the evening.

This is in the Q section but you mention the 3030, so I'll assume you mean the regular Arlo Cam

Tho as mentioned I have run the Arlo cam in a Parabolic dish to increase range...( easy for that distance ), I really don't think that will be your answer.

The major problem will be batteries...

It sounds like your using the camera to cover an active area.  The downfall of the arlo is that it's NOT intended to be used as a 24/7 type camera as the batteries won't last long and as a side point the IR illuminators really do have an effective range at night of 20ft max

But, what may be better suited for this use is the Arlo Q camera as it's ac powered and has better sense for motion recordings. The Q cam also has better night vision even without the IR illuminators used.  The possible problems here is how good is the range of your home wifi system ( which Q hooks into ) and can it be mounted in an area out of weather.

It will prob be a test and try type problem.  If you need more info as to the parabolic, pm me

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------