Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

why are two of my cameras failing when 30-50 degrees.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
luterguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have read about re-sync and remove...then re-add camera.
However ...I'm having slightly different problem. Camera works fine inside.....and has New batteries. Camera batteries show 98%. But when take then outside (covered)...it goes to 0% and says change batteries. When I re-sync outside....It shows 98% for flash and then goes to 0%. Weird thing is during day it has been 50 degrees...and at night usually about 35 degrees.
Usually battery issue are colder than. That. .so why are two of my cameras failing when 30-50 degrees.

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The fact that it's only when you take the cameras outdoors sounds like it's a connection problem between the cameras and base. Does it happen regardless of which door you use to go outside? WHat is your house construction - stucco can be a real issue due to the wire mesh underneath? Have you tried repositioning your base to see if that helps?

luterguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is a stick built house...and wifi connection is strong (more than 3 bars).

This seems tempurature sensitive...but inconsistent.

I have one wireless Arlo camera at front door and it works steady...but these other two which used to work fine... stop working when coldish (30-40?? and below)?

I have heard that battery life is not as good on these in cold and that they can report less juice when cold...but these when cold (not super cold) just stop and say "Time to Change Batter" but when warms back up they work and show batter life at 98%.

I love my wired Arlos and my one wireless Arlo that works..but these other two which used to work... now are unreliable in coldish temps. I just didn't think that a 30-40 degree day should stop a camera. I could see if it was below zero or something...but it isn't even below freezing???

luterguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry...short answer is I have tested mutliple ways (can test more if have ideas)...but it looks to be tempurture sensitive not location. As I stated in same spot (not moving) it will work when warm enough but once it get lower (very cold up to about 40 degrees [surprising]) then it stops working and says "time to change battery". Once it get warm enough it starts working again.

I have read about exreme cold...but this is happening to 2 of my 3 wire free cameras and at temps above freezing as well as below.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

luterguy,

What kind of batteries are you using (non-rechargeable/rechargeable)? What Brand are they?

JamesC