Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

what WiFi Network

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
dk6430
Aspirant
Aspirant

is there a way to know what wifi network the cameras are connecetd to? need to know for adding a repeater

it seems that base station added a separate netgear network - are camertas connecetd to that, or my wifi router - which one do I need to extend?

9 REPLIES 9
DarrenM
Sage
Sage

Hello dk6430

The Arlo cameras are connected to the Base station which puts out a network to the cameras here is a great Article of how to add a extender to your network for use of the arlo cameras.

How can I extend the range of an Arlo system using a WiFi range extender?

Hope to hear your Feedback

Thanks 

DarrenM 

Arlo Team

dk6430
Aspirant
Aspirant

DarrenM,

whatis unclear to me, is that the extender requires me to login with my iPhone to the extender, then to my network to extend.

The instruction assumes i have a Ethernet Port, but that is not clear to me how to connect.

what is unclear to me is what the password is for the base station network (netgear75 is SSID)

can you please help me? 

BTW it is a EX2700 Netgear extender

thanks

JohnR
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello dk6430, 

The wireless extender EX2700 will rely to your existing wireless network (it will be connecting wirelessly and will broadcast its own wireless signal), see the installation guide on this link. The cameras will not connect to the extender, it will only connect to the Arlo Base station (which also broadcasts its own wireless signal). Upon buying the extender was what your main goal? Are you planning to put the base station on another part of your house? 

You can tell me what you are planning and we can help you formulate a proper setup. 

Hope that helps! 

Thanks, 

JohnR

Arlo Team

Thanks,

JohnR
Netgear Community Team
dk6430
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I figured out what it means, but it does not solve my problem, because:

1. I need to leave the base station connected to the extender - i could have used a longer cable

2. I have a camera far off, so I need to exttend the wireless range

3. I need to connect it between the camera and the base station - I need the credentials for my base station to do that

I hope this clarifies my issue

thanks

Dan

JohnR
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello Dan, 

I see what you mean and I totally understand your situation now. Now we still have a little issue with this kind of setup that you are planning to implement. The base station does broadcast a signal and reveal its SSID for the cameras to connect to and its WPA2 password is not provided anywhere explained here. The base station is not really a router so it lacks some features (ex. DHCP server functions), as you can see it is subscription-based so it has a limit on how many devices can connect to it.  For me, the best way to address your situation is by getting another base station along with the extender, this will give you a wider area of coverage for the cameras. 

I'll be here if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

JohnR

Arlo Team

Thanks,

JohnR
Netgear Community Team
dk6430
Aspirant
Aspirant

JohnR,

this makes it both more expensive and compliacted, as for example Amazon seems not to sell the base station alone...

you guys need to find a better fix - for example, you could make a special version of the range extender and use the WPS button as a sync button - not only is it more clutter the way you suggest it, but $30+ more electricity (even more in CA) a year (as I need now 2 additional devices, not one) not to talk about the waste of energy

thanks

Dan

dk6430
Aspirant
Aspirant

PS.: In fact, Google could not find any store selling the base station alone

BrianL
Master
Master

Hi Dan,

That is right. The least expensive Arlo unit with base station comes with a single camera. Regarding your request of having a special version of wireless range extender, I suggest that you post it here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange and give it a kudos. Having kudos on your post will surely help this request, as it may get more attention and may be considered to add in the future. 

Kind regards,

BrianL

Arlo Team

dk6430
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did - give me a Kudo, please 🙂