Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 10 In Conversation
bethh
Follower
Follower
I want to use arlo at my vacation home. I only have a verizon wifi jet pack there for internet/data, no ethernet port only usb. can I use an ethernet to usb converter cable to connect the base station to my mifi jetpack and will it work?
16 REPLIES 16
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

bethh wrote:
I want to use arlo at my vacation home. I only have a verizon wifi jet pack there for internet/data, no ethernet port only usb. can I use an ethernet to usb converter cable to connect the base station to my mifi jetpack and will it work?

It may work, I'd guess you have to be the one to test it....

But, I hope you have a GOOD data plan. All streaming goes up and then back down to you to view/record.  At 10 sec per mb , it can add up in $

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
joeboy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did this work?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

joeboy wrote:

Did this work?

Never came back...last visit was 2015-07-09 02:47 PM

joeboy
Aspirant
Aspirant

ok thanks I will try getting a 4 g lte router with an ethernet socket to connect to the netgear arlo router ... use my 3 sim without static Ip and see what 

happens i suppose. I am surprised no one has tried this! 

thanks

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

. I am surprised no one has tried this! 

Hope it works...  Reason why it hasn't been done is 1) much is done thru wifi these days 2) possible cost in data as all exchanged info/data streams go up the pike  to servers and back down to you.

MANUSILV
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does it work?

GoCougs
Initiate
Initiate

I got this to work last night by using the netgear WN3000RP universal WiFi extender. Once I synced the extender up to the Jetpack, I plugged the base into the Netgear wifi extender and everything synced up and was ready to go!

Connera
Aspirant
Aspirant
Where did you purchase the universal wifi extender?
Connera
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's a wide variety of extenders available through many retailers including Amazon.  A quick search will find a ton:

http://bfy.tw/5qH3

Smb
Tutor
Tutor
Any idea how much data it uses when cameras are not recording?I'm planning on using the same at my camp and running off a solar powered system but the cost of the data looks like it will be my limiting factor
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Smb wrote:
Any idea how much data it uses when cameras are not recording?I'm planning on using the same at my camp and running off a solar powered system but the cost of the data looks like it will be my limiting factor

When not recording or live viewing... there is null data. The communication happens between the base and camera only

jmatti
Tutor
Tutor

Any success with plugging the Arlo base station to LTE 4G router?

I tryed it with TP-Link TL MR 6400 with no success. The upload speed was 6,5mbps and dowload 3,5Mbps but the base station didn 't connet to internet.

Any idea what should be done or any experience with other devices?

TomMac wrote:

Smb wrote:

When not recording or live viewing... there is null data. The communication happens between the base and camera only

TomMac wrote:

Smb wrote:

JPWilliams
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a 4glte jetpac , how do i sync the camers to the base station?

JPWilliams
Aspirant
Aspirant

what would i need to make the netgear work?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Do you have the base connected to the hotspot using the Ethernet cable? What are the LEDs on the base showing? Which ones are lit and what color?