Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

reduce the time between when motion occurs and a video starts

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
GMF
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m trying to reduce the time between when motion occurs and a video starts. Currently the cameras I have positioned to cover my front and back door often fail to record a person going in or out unless they are there for at least a few seconds.

In a previous chat, the agent told me that my Arlo wireless system has a latency of 5 to 6 seconds and that an Arlo Pro has a latency of 2 to 3 seconds. If I replaced the Arlo Base station with an Arlo Pro Base station (and everything else stayed the same: Arlo cameras, their placement, my router, internet service, etc.) could I expect to see a significant reduction in the time between when motion occurs and a video is started?

Do you have any other suggestions on how to speed up this process?

2 REPLIES 2
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Just replacing the base station won't change anything (except you'll be able to do local recording on to a USB drive and will get a siren).
You'll need Arlo Pro cameras

You'll also want to have the cameras not too far from the base and the signal not impeded by multiple thick walls

Fast internet connection will help a bit

Sensitivity settings and camera positioning are also important for optimal functionality

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

GMF wrote:

Do you have any other suggestions on how to speed up this process?

Not much to decrease lag.... my runs at about 2-3 seconds on the Arlo ,is faster on the Pro.

BUT, Placement of the Arlo camera for traffic is important to make the lag less important; between the trigger event and the recording.

I had an Arlo camera at my door facing out... I would get backs of people leaving ( fed ex , etc ) .  I had to move my camera 10ft back to face my door. This allows the subject entering to trigger the camera and then the record starts while they are at the door ...I always get a facial picture as they are there and then leaving ( walking towards camera )

Also don't overextend the range of the PIR in the camera...it is for people, best at under 20ft for detection with crossing the FOV the best. I try to limit the Arlo cameras to cover an area smaller than the range of the PIR

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------