Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
adamt104
Tutor
Tutor

My Arlo device has been offline for a few days and I can't seem to get it back online.  I've rebooted the system 3 times and it's still not working.

When I login to the app, it says "This Arlo devices is offline" for all of my cameras.  

The chat feature in Arlo support doesn't work and apparently they charge you to call them so any help someone would be able to provide would be appreciated.  At this point, my cameras are just really expensive paper weights.

Thanks in advance for your help!

20 REPLIES 20
BBAY
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. Help

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

What are the front LEDS showing ??

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
BBAY
Aspirant
Aspirant

left to right...green green amber

adamt104
Tutor
Tutor
Mine are both green
lflakne
Initiate
Initiate

I have been having the same problem for a year.  One or more cameras go offline even with fresh batteries.  I follow the reset instructions, they work for a short time, then go offline again.  Very frustrating.  About to dump Arlo.  Also, one of my camera's playback is always tinted red.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@BBAY wrote:

left to right...green green amber

the right most LED means there is no sync to camera

Power-Internet-Camera

Take one of the cameras, verify battery good, resync to base ( quick press on base sync button )

Morse is faster than texting!
ArloBS
Tutor
Tutor

I also have the same issue plus battery drain.  I suspect that the magnet is too strong and is draining the batteries.  Arlo was no help, as usuall.  Their product works great for awhile, then they go South.  I guess that is why the 90 day customer support, they know you will have issues with their cameras.  For two cameras I have purchased 48 batteries in about two years.  I am ready to give Arlo to the GoodWill.  Their cameras are expensive, go thru too many batteries and their support sucks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The magnet has nothing whatsoever to do with battery usage. Most of my cameras have used the magnetic mount and some last >6 months (low usage) on one battery charge.

ArloBS
Tutor
Tutor

Well, this particular magnet is strong.  When I put a battery in the front of the camera the magnet immediately pulls the battery to the back slot.  My other camera does not do this.

Jackson-Hung
Initiate
Initiate
After tring the methods from above, it still doesn’t work. My camera cannot be sync and add back, just keep flashing ready blue light. I’ve tried pull the plug of base (12 sec), reboot, open battery cover. still won’t works. And the blue light keep flashing even the base station give up syncing. please help me. so frustrating
jamessl79
Initiate
Initiate

I am having the same issue.  Randomly one or more of the 4 cameras linked to my base station will go offline.  When i resync that camera, a different goes offline.  All batteries are good.  How can i trust a security system that will randomly fail?  Arlo / Netgear - please ehar your users' feedback, or lose valuable customers!  We need to hear from you.  Thank you 

ChevyMama
Luminary
Luminary

This has been an ongoing issue! Every time they do an update, we suffer. It's not your batteries, it's not your camera, it's their firmware. Finally got it back up and running after their last update to find it offline again today. It seems to take weeks to get it running properly then some other issue comes along.

@jamessl79 wrote:

I am having the same issue.  Randomly one or more of the 4 cameras linked to my base station will go offline.  When i resync that camera, a different goes offline.  All batteries are good.  How can i trust a security system that will randomly fail?  Arlo / Netgear - please ehar your users' feedback, or lose valuable customers!  We need to hear from you.  Thank you 

Getting really tired of all these problems arlo!

JKDAL
Initiate
Initiate

I have Arlo systems currently operational at two different houses under two different accounts. The 'old' house was our initial system with 4 CR123 battery-powered cameras and the original hub. It worked great for ~ 2 years and then began to have a few problems. Mostly, we had battery life issues -- instead of 5 - 6 months on a set of batteries, we'd get about 2 or 3. We subsequently installed a newer Arlo system at the 'new' house with the newer style hub and 4 rechargeable cameras. It worked great, and it would probably continue to work great except that due to problems at the 'old' house, I had to swap some cameras. Three of the 4 cameras at the old house suddently began to fail such that they would run no more than a week on a fresh set of batteries. I would test the batteries when the cameras went off-line and they were sufficiently discharged that when rebooting a camera, it would typically show about 9% battery left and go off-line rather quickly. One camera continued to work great, but the other three would eat batteries faster than I could get over there to change them. I gradually migrated 3 of the rechargeable cameras from the new house to the old house and moved the 3 faulty battery-powered cameras to the 'new' house. Now, all four cameras at the old house work well -- the one 'good' battery camera and 3 rechargeables. At the new house, I now have the three 'suspect' battery cameras and one rechargeable. The rechargeable continues to work well. The three battery cameras work well until they don't. When they go off-line, they all three go off-line at the same time. When I reboot each of them, they resync and show that the CR123 batteries are still holding a decent charge, > 90% after a couple of weeks. The question is...why do they go off-line simultaneously, and why do they need to be power-cycled to resync? This points to a hub problem as it is the only common element among the three cameras. This has happened twice now in the span of 3 weeks. Any ideas would be helpful.

Mayfest99
Initiate
Initiate
Same here. Of the 5 cameras we have one is nearly always “unavailable” even with fresh batteries. Another will be tinted red. Then they inexplicably heal themselves for a few days and then, usually when we are away, another will go offline.
Very inconsistent performance. Nearing the “unreliable” category.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Mayfest99,

Have you tried to reboot your base station and remove & re-sync the cameras that are giving you the issues?

ezappp
Initiate
Initiate

Hi there.  I had been struggling with a similar issue for months.  My arlo Pro system with 5 cameras worked great for over a year and then all of a sudden all of my cameras showed the "this arlo device is offline" about 3 months ago.  I tried resetting, restoring to factory settings, etc and nothing worked.  I even bought a new base station.  Turns out, the 2.4 Ghz wifi signal that the arlo base station uses was being interupted by the same channel on my wirelesss router which is right next to it.  I suppose I could have moved the base station, but at the suggestion of a Netgear tech I changed my router to use a fixed 2.4 GHz channel (1, 6, or 11) and it has worked flawlessly ever since.  I attached the exact instructions from Netgear, but all I did was change the channel and a soft reset of the base station and it now works perfectly!

From Netgear:

1. Change the wireless of your router to 1, 6 or 11. To change the wireless channel you need to access the user interface of your router. If you need assistance in changing the wireless channel please do contact your ISP or the manufacturer of your router

2. Once done, please do power cycle your Network by unplugging it from the power outlet for 1 minute

3. Do a reset again on the base station for 10 seconds using pin and observe the LED lights on it

4. Remove the base station from your Arlo account

Go to Settings, My Devices, and select the base station. Press Remove Device.

5. Add back the base station 

a.) Log in to the Arlo account 

b.) Go to Devices, beside the library 

c.) Click the "Add Device" button 

d.) Select "Base Station" 

e.) Follow the steps to successfully set up the base station 

Dain___
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue here. Have several cameras, some show as offline. Some online. Reset gets them online again, still with lots of battery left. Why is this happening I wonder?

Some cameras are not very easy to get to so its a very frustrating problem.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Dain___

It sounds like there may be some interference happening within the area? can you move your base station or router further from each other & test again? What firmware version is your cameras/base station running?

pmdsr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Headache69
Aspirant
Aspirant
Don’t want to make fun of anybody here and I’m SURE you ALL have tried this but I was getting the same error Auto detection has shut off device” or something real close to that....I had the batteries in wrong somehow must have gotten in a hurry when replacing them!! As soon I got them in correctly hit the sync button blue lights on front started flashing and I’m back online!! This was one of five not working!!! If you don’t hear back then you know it stayed online otherwise I’ll let y’all know. Hope this helps!!