Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

non-wifi option?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
moonbeams
Aspirant
Aspirant

I want to install at least 5 cameras on my house and I am looking for a system that works with or without wifi as we connect to wifi using ethernet cables. If we go away we could potentially leave wifi running so having the option to review footage whilst away from the house would be good.  Is there an Arlo system that is suitable?

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@moonbeams wrote:

I want to install at least 5 cameras on my house and I am looking for a system that works with or without wifi as we connect to wifi using ethernet cables. If we go away we could potentially leave wifi running so having the option to review footage whilst away from the house would be good.  Is there an Arlo system that is suitable?

Not really sure what you mean by "connecting to wifi using ethernet cables".  I am guessing that you mean "connect to your router using ethernet cables" or "access the internet over ethernet".

Most Arlo cameras connect to WiFi.  There is one currently sold model (Arlo Go 2) that can connect directly to a cellular network.  That requires both an Arlo subscription and a mobile data plan from the cellular provider.  So that would work without having wifi (or internet).  Battery life is shorter than most Arlo cameras, so if you are away for extended periods you would need to figure out how to keep the Go 2 cameras powered.

Another option is that you could get an Arlo smarthub.  Most currently sold Arlo cameras can connect to the smarthub.  The exception is the Essential Gen 2 cameras.  Arlo says they will add that feature, but they haven't yet.

The smarthub connects to your router using ethernet, and creates a closed wifi network for the cameras.  (Only the cameras can connect to it).  But the smarthub does require an internet connection, so if you meant "internet" in your post, and not "WiFi", then the Go 2 camera would be the only option.

If this is confusing, perhaps you can describe your internet setup in more detail (giving us details on the equipment you have).  Then we might be able to give you better advice.

moonbeams
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Stephen thanks for replying.  Yes I did mean that we connect to the internet via Ethernet cable, we prefer all wifi around us to be switched off.  From your reply it sounds like even the hub uses some sort of wifi to connect to the cameras?  I guess we could switch them off when home and turn on when out but nighttime when we are home would be an issue as we want cameras on then.   Maybe I need wired in cameras which feels almost impossible. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@moonbeams wrote:

From your reply it sounds like even the hub uses some sort of wifi to connect to the cameras? 

Yes.

@moonbeams wrote:

Maybe I need wired in cameras which feels almost impossible. 

There are power-over-ethernet (PoE) cameras out there, which would only require one cable to get to each camera.  They generally also need a server to store the camera feeds.  Remote access is possible (either using a service from the provider, or using a home VPN or port forwarding).  You'd need a PoE switch, and likely would want a professional installer.  

Arlo doesn't have a system like this, so you'd need to look elsewhere.