Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
tedlevy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a large area to cover and to do so, I have two wireless access points, each connected via ethernet wire to LAN port of main router, which is not broadcasting wirelessly, and which is serving the IP's to all devices. Each of the two access points has the same SSID, password, channel etc. to enable me to connect wirelessly wtihout changing wifi settings wherever on the property my device happens to be. (This is similar to setup used in many hotels, etc.) This setup works fine.

I have my Arlo base station connected via ethernet to another LAN port on the main router. One of the cameras is getting its wireless signal from one of the WAP's, the other from the other. I synced the cameras as directed by bringing them in the proximity of the base station, which is within the strong signal coverage area of one of the WAPs but not the other. When I move the one camera to the area I which to surveil, which is well covered by the second WAP but not the first, I have a weak signal. I am assuming this second camera is still trying to connect to the WAP near the base station and router, rather than the WAP near to it, where the signal is about 25 db stronger.

I don't understand how the cameras connect on my network. Is this a "mesh" network? How can I force the second camera to connect to the base station via the stronger, WAP?

2 REPLIES 2
tedlevy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oh I see what is going on now. The base station itself IS a WAP, with its own SSID etc. So I need to move the base station to a location (if I have one) where both cameras can access it wirelessly. It is now considerably closer to one camera than the other. I think if I connect to a LAN port on one of the two (other) WAP's, versus connecting it to the primary (wired) router which is now running the DHCP server, I can get better coverage. I will try that. Otherwise, I fear, I will need to get a second base station??

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The base station itself IS a WAP, with its own SSID etc. So I need to move the base station to a location (if I have one) where both cameras can access it wirelessly. It is now considerably closer to one camera than the other. I think if I connect to a LAN port on one of the two (other) WAP's, versus connecting it to the primary (wired) router which is now running the DHCP server, I can get better coverage. I will try that. Otherwise, I fear, I will need to get a second base station??

Yes.. the BASE set up its own wifi system... 802.11n and you can see the name if you scan for same

Running two bases will increase the effective range of you cameras as normal wifi units... each base say a max of say 300ft, so if possible spread the bases apart for additional range of the spread + the 300ft

When you separate the bases, sync the cameras to the closest base ( cameras can't be sync'ed to more than on base at a time )

One other note is that a base can stream a max of 4 cameras at a time... two bases allow 8 ( limit is the base thru-put to maximize vid quality/linkage )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------