Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

login address and camera security

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
frontdesk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just ordered the NETGEAR Arlo from HSN.  Can't find anything in the specs that provides level of security in the camera for protetection of remote access via internet.  Is there any?  And what is the login address-with or without the s for security?

8 REPLIES 8
manfredz
Hero
Hero

login url is https://arlo.netgear.com

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Also the data stream is key encrypted

But you still need a strong password as with all online accounts

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

frontdesk,

Take a look here for more information on how NETGEAR secures Arlo content on the cloud: How does NETGEAR keep my Arlo videos private and secure in the cloud?

JamesC

frontdesk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello-I'm new to this site, and don't know if this thank you goes to one or all?  But thanks--we are rather new to wireless, and have read so much information that looks at all the ills that can befall us, that we have declined in the past. If anyone is getting this-perhaps you will not mind another question?  

Do we need a dedicated router to use with the NETGEAR Arlo?  Without knowing how this all works, it seems to us that by keeping the wireless cameras separate from our home computers would be a good thing security wise?  We have several pieces of electronic equipment that run thru our current router--if we did a separate router would we also need a second account from our provider?

I will thank you again in advance should this be sent!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You would likely need a second IP address added to your ISP account along with a second modem to connect the router to.  However, that's really not necessary in all but the weirdest cases.  The Arlo system is as unhackable as any consumer device can be made (if someone really wants to, they'll do it but why?).  Using your existing connection won't have any security issue for the rest of your devices - your computer and phone, as well as many Internet of Things devices, are much more likely to be the targets.

frontdesk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the information.  All the news concentrate on security-and when you don't really deal with all of this in any depth--it makes us super suspicious.  So, if I understand any of this, if the cameras have strong passwords to prevent anyone having access except us, and if the cameras have a high level of protection during transmission to a wireless device-we should be confident?!  

There is no list of specs that deal with the camera security--do you know where this info might be found?  Trying to send a message to NETGEAR is a mysterious task. 

Thanks again!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There are FAQs here that address some of your questions.  Use Contact Support at the bottom here to ask questions, too.

Use of a strong password for your account is a Good Thing.  The system uses encryption that would be difficult to break for all communications.  Nothing is impossible but that's for everything, not just Arlo. I'm personally comfortable with the security.  Your level of paranoia may differ from mine.

Woddel
Aspirant
Aspirant

hello all

i am new to arlo and i am very happy with the product so far.  but also, security is, of course, a concern.

what i would be interested in is better security options for the login on the portal, like for example two factor authentication using the google authenticator app.  because even if one HAS a good password, something can happen (keyloggers etc) and nobody wants anybody else snooping around into his house or garden.

also, a LOGIN LOG function would be nice, where one would see from which ip logins have occured on which date/time.  as a possibility to review and take action (change password) in case something seems fishy.

thanks for considering.  both tools should not be a whole lot of work to implement, but would improve the safety feeling of users greatly.  the can be optional, advanced options, but they should be available.

kind regards

lukas