Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

google WiFi and arlo q

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Ajturton1985
Apprentice
Apprentice

Does anyone use arlo q with google WiFi?  Yes have 3 arlo q and a 3 story house. I need a new mesh WiFi system and I’m considering google WiFi. Does it work with arlo q?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ajturton1985
Apprentice
Apprentice
I ended up buying google WiFi. I run a 3 puck system and so far it works flawlessly.

Originally I had 2 pucks and one of my Arlos couldn’t quite get a good enough signal (but this was a fault of the shape of my house and that it is 3 floors).

I’ve had no disconnects or signal issues since buying google WiFi.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't use google mesh...but there is no reason why it shouldn't work

My bases run on an Orbi router and satellite

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Atlantagreg
Tutor
Tutor

Older post but I'll answer so future readers may get something out of it.  Long story short - it will not work.  I was AMAZED at how crazy-stupid the Google wifi system is.  It appears the Google Wifi pucks create a system that is a "blend" of 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz frequencies, and it chooses which one of these to use on each device you hook up to it for best results.  Well... Arlo only uses 2.4 ghz... there is no 5 ghz option, and apparently, this confuses it and it will bump offline (if it connects at all).  Thing is, the same things happens to other video camera systems, Ring doorbells, certain smart plugs, etc.  In other words, A LOT of very common products people buy that only use 2.4 ghz will have issues with Google Wifi.

It apparently works great for just extending your laptop/tablet/phone range because those devices all can switch between the two frequencies, etc.  But anything and everything that ONLY uses 2.4 ghz (still a lot of items today) will not work as well.

Ajturton1985
Apprentice
Apprentice
I ended up buying google WiFi. I run a 3 puck system and so far it works flawlessly.

Originally I had 2 pucks and one of my Arlos couldn’t quite get a good enough signal (but this was a fault of the shape of my house and that it is 3 floors).

I’ve had no disconnects or signal issues since buying google WiFi.