Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

does bright sunlight defeat Arlo's motion detection?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
devotchko
Luminary
Luminary

No matter what I try my porch camera fails to detect packages being delivered, and the only explanation I can come up with after trying relocating the camera and tweaking the sensitivity is that bright sunlight prevents the motion detection from being activated. Anybody else experience this?

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Bright sunlight absolutely can do this. A downward tilt of somewhere around 45 degrees will help as will not pointing the camera in the same direction as the path travelled by the sun. I had a camera pointed at my troublesome neighbors but the afternoon sun would cause lots of false triggers until the sun went behind trees. In your case, the IR detectors could be swamped by the sun's emissions, perhaps bouncing off the sidewalk or driveway or even nearby vegetation in the camera's view. All you can do is find a different location (on a tree?) that might reduce reflected or direct IR into the camera.

A thought - how does the camera work at night? That would help eliminate excess IR being the issue.

devotchko
Luminary
Luminary

Problem is my camera is pointing at the steps, not at the horizon or direct sunlight, however the stone steps are light in color and in the preview they look white hot (complete overexposed), so short of pointing the camera directly at my door, which would defeat the purpose of seeing who is coming into my property, there is no way I can work around this issue. Camera works properly at night, no issues.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

try and lower the iris level.... it may help

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

iris level?  Guess I missed a setting somewhere.  Where is this?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Go to the Cameras page, start Live View (click on the arrow in the middle of the camera view) and use the sun-looking icon on the right at the bottom of the live view to get the slider.