Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

cameras buffering

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
DarkJedi63
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just purchased the premier plan and now all 7 cameras (every 3 seconds) are buffering. What do I need to do ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DarkJedi63,

I have a couple questions i'd like to ask to shed more light on the buffering issue.  Were you experiencing any buffering issues before upgrading to the premier plan? Are you trying to view live streams on all 7 cameras at the same time when you experience the buffering?  You could try reducing the quality of the camera feed for each camera.  For example from "best video" to "best battery life".  It sounds like it could be a bandwidth limitation with your internet connection or router. You can read more about the bandwidth requirements for each camera here.

Regards,

JamesC

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DarkJedi63,

I have a couple questions i'd like to ask to shed more light on the buffering issue.  Were you experiencing any buffering issues before upgrading to the premier plan? Are you trying to view live streams on all 7 cameras at the same time when you experience the buffering?  You could try reducing the quality of the camera feed for each camera.  For example from "best video" to "best battery life".  It sounds like it could be a bandwidth limitation with your internet connection or router. You can read more about the bandwidth requirements for each camera here.

Regards,

JamesC

Iowacopper2
Initiate
Initiate
I have a Net gear Nighthawk and can watch streaming Netflix with no buffering. This one camera would not connect for hours even after resynching. Not it buffers, then shows.motion, then buffers...sitting next to the router.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Iowacopper2,

Is it just the one camera behaving this way? Do you have other cameras that are unaffected in the same location?

Consider relocating the camera to see if you get the same results, it's possible there is some WiFi interference causing an issue.

JamesC

aperalta0101
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not sure how or if James response was accepted as a good response. However, I do not accept that as a good response. I have multiple cameras and have eero units all over my house and if I stream any camera it buffers. I tried switching to Netgear Nighthawk and still same issue. Also I am not sure how the house wifi would affect the camera, I do not recall having to input my wifi password at any point during setup. The base station is connected with a wire directly to my router.The issue must be wifi between the Arlo camera and the Arlo base station. What type of wifi topology does Arlo use anyway? Is it a MESH type of approach or waves, maybe A/C. Please advise as I am getting ready to trash these rediculous cameras.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

aperalta0101,

What ISP do you have and what are your upload/download speeds? The issue you are describing could be due to slow internet speeds.

JamesC

aperalta0101
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi James

I have Verizon FIOS speeds below

150/150 Mbps
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

aperalta0101,

Shouldn't be an issue with ISP speeds if you have 150 up/down. It may take more in-depth troubleshooting to find the root cause of this issue. Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Analeo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same buffering issues as previous customers. I am also ready to return cameras as suggested by a support person at Arlo. It is just too bad because the fraction of a second one is able to view image it is very crisp clear. However the buffering is past ridiculous. I was told by a support person that i have a strong connection. One camera is just ten to twelve feet away. I have also been on this issue for a few days with netgear. I am not being helped.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Buffering can be caused by anything in the World Wide Wait that slows down the stream sufficiently. It can be odd - sometimes my Q camera videos will buffer incessantly but the ones from the wireless cameras are fine. Both are set to 720p.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

The last 3 days my cameras are buffing all the time . With a lot of pixelation ,everything was working fine before then. Any advice. I have tried factory reset ,remove batteries . Relocate the box .reinstall the app ,speed test ,reboot router., resink cameras . My speed 50/50 verizon fios. I dont know what has gone wrong

aperalta0101
Aspirant
Aspirant
Johnny 290

I moved the base to a better location in the house and found that it helped very much. The more walls in between the base and cameras the worse the signal to the cameras. I have an open layout so it was easier for me to find a central location with no interference to all cameras.

Hope this helps.

I am still not fully satisfied with these cameras but can deal with them for now. I also have a nest outdoor cam and it works amazing. Best thing of all is that nest does not need a base it connects via wifi to the router flawless. I think netgear can fix their issue if they just make their cameras connect directly to the router therefore eliminating the base station. There is not much added functionality with the base anyway except for the USB port but even with that it sucks.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I'll give it a try
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I must have a lot of interference where I live because I can only put my cameras about 50 feet away from the base before I start having problems a lot of pixelation