Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

cameras are detecting motion but do not record

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
NICOLE12_76
Guide
Guide

My wireless cameras are detecting motion but do not record. The firmware on both the base station and the cameras appears to be up to date.

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you mean there's no video in the library or that there's nothing in the videos? Are you using push and/or email notifications?  If email, is there a snapshot from the camera and a link to the video?  Is it possible that whatever triggered the detection had already moved from view?

NICOLE12_76
Guide
Guide

I mean that I am getting push notifications saying there is movement. When I go to live view I can still see my dog moving in the camera but it is not recording.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Live view will cancel any recording in process.

NICOLE12_76
Guide
Guide

Ok, Live view cancelling the recording process is not the point. It will not record period. I have been gone for days at a time and not looked at my cameras. I have received push messages saying it has detected motion and the cameras do not record. My wired Arlo Q cameras record but the most important wireless ones do not. Can someone who comprehends what I am saying help. or is there just one person who questions all that you say instead of listening to what you have said that can help

steve_t
Master Master
Master

1. Check all your rules in your recording mode(s). Make sure each rules says for a motion trigger to record (not Do Nothing). If you're getting a push notification then the motion sensing is obviously working.
2. Can you record manually from the live view screen?

3. Restart your base station. If you're not at home, you can do this through the app

4. People ask questions to make sure YOU'RE doing everything right to get the system to work. Jguerdat isn't the one with the non-functioning system. They're here trying to help you. If you don't want user help on the community, go to the bottom of the page and click "Contact Support" and either Live Chat or ring or email someone. Unfortunately, I can guarantee you that support agents will also ask you questions; they will also get you to tell them all the parameters of your rules; they will get you to power cycle your base and your cameras; they'll probably get you to factory reset the base station. Support, wherever it comes from, is a process.
5. We don't work for Netgear. We just try to help those willing to accept our help

NICOLE12_76
Guide
Guide

You are correct sorry, just irritated. It appears that Arlo made a change that no longer is allowing the wireless cameras to record in geofencing or scheduled modes. Once I flipped it to all motion on I have the option for recording. The arlo Q cameras will still record and work in geofencing mode and scheduled modes. My wireless cameras worked fine recording originally when I set up geofencing and scheduled modes but no more. What a pain.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you have a mode named All Motion On, that indicates a problem.  It's an artifact of VERY old firmware that was changed almost 2 years ago.  At the very least do not use that mode - use Armed or create your own custom mode.

Since you seem to have this scenario, a better overall solution would be to reset the system and start fresh since there could be other things somehow affecting proper operation.  Remove all devices from Settings, My Devices and then use the Add Device button to add the base and sync the cameras.  Be sure to note your settings and modes/rules to aid in the rebuilding process.

NICOLE12_76
Guide
Guide

I am confused from the information I could find my firmware is up to date?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Check your versions in Settings, My Devices, your devices, Device Info. Compare to what's posted in the Release Notes section here.
NICOLE12_76
Guide
Guide

I reset my system and set all my cameras back up. There has been no change, including no firmware update. How do I force an update? When I go to the update it says my firmware is up to date.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You really can't force a firmware update.  The closest you can come i to power cycle the base. However, since you reset the system, that would have initiated any updates.  To be usre, compare your versions in Settings, My Devices with those listed in the Release Notes section here.