Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Frex07
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there,

Ive had my Arlo system up and running just fine for at least 2 years now..then one day it stops working..that is I get the message “ your base station is offline “ ? 

Please reconnect..

strange as ive not changed a thing...?

So I deleted the base station and then tried to reconnect it using my IPhone app..a fresh start ...its no longer recognised ?and cannot be detected ?

ive deleted the APP..reinstalled it...used my IPad just in case it’s my Phone.. the problem is still evident..

the base station model no is VMB3000

i get the two green ( all good ) lights on the BS but this is misleading due the above issue..

any help most welcome..I’ve tried to look for fixes online ..YouTube... but there is only issues re syncing of the camera to the BS... not my issue.. 

Thanks a lot,

fingers crossed !!

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Which LEDs are green?

Frex07
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there,

thanks for asking..as you look at the BS it’s the two left hand side LED lights..

so this is what should be seen if all is well...this is showing the BS is connected to the internet...but both my IPhone and IPAD  can’t sense the BS .and as the APP suggests my iPhone and IPad should be on the same network,which it is...the next LED is the one that shows Cameras are synced..but this of course is Not illuminated ..

does this make sense?.

thanks 

jason

JohnEgholm
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem, so joining your tread.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try holding the reset button until the LEDs flash amber. Let the base reboot. Try again.

Frex07
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi there.. thanks.. I’ve already tried to reboot / reset but still no luck .. not sure how to proceed. ? Thanks for your input / ideas !
rpeterson53
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi @jguerdat I have the same issue with the BS being offline.  Tried Arlo tech support and they could not fix.  My Netgear router shows the base station as access allowed.  But get amber light in lieu of the flashing white light on the router.

I believe the problem is on Arlo's end  Something changed just a few days ago.

rpeterson53
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat Arlo Customer support is basically no help.  The advice was to contact the router vendor Netgear for unlocking ports 80, 123 and 443.  The Arlo base station worked fine a few days ago.  The Netgear router shows an amber light when it should be a flashing white.  Netgear website wants money after 90 days purchase.  Give me a break !  This is an ARLO problem.

They have done something and screwed up some base stations ability to access the internet.

Frex07
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi again all..guess no one has had any input from Arlo themselves... bit disappointed re their support .. oh well,time to buy another camera.. Arlo over priced ... and perhaps not such a good option anymore.. thanks all for your help/ support. Good luck all !
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Frex07

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Frex07
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi ..
Re above offline issues.. yes I have tried to contact Arlo support.. I’ll try again .. thanks a lot.. seems that this issue is quite common though.. cheers
VikingReviews
Aspirant
Aspirant

Greetings:

I may not have answer to your difficulty, but perhaps my journey will be of service.

We purchased our Arlo Pro 3 Camera System for its simplicty, and promise of no added service charges. After a few snafus at set up, the system has worked flawlessly, up until two weeks ago.

A few months prior, we began to receive emails from Arlo, offering a pay for upgraded service option.  

We were quite content with our existing system. 

Our  base station, and therefor cameras suddenly became unavailable to us two weeks ago.

The base station was no longer recognized by our computers, or mobile devices. 

I followed the usual problem solving protocols, still nothing. I also confirmed that our ISP could see that our Arlo base station was indeed connected to the internet. It was. Hm. I performed the usual system resets, unplugs etc, again. Nothing. I trashed the Arlo app, downloaded from cloud. Nothing. 

I then found an online an article that stated Arlo was distancing itself from the parent, Netgear, and would send out emails to existing customers informing them to download the new Arlo app. The old Arlo app would cease to function on 9/30/2019.  Hmm. We received no such email warning. And, our Arlo app ceased to function in early September, without such knowledge. I downloaded the new Arlo app. Nothing. The base station was still not recognized. I called Arlo tech support. Arlo tech support sent a signal to my base station. Still nothing. 

I called back. The second Arlo guy told me this: “You will need to decide if you want to pay the $139 option or the $179 option for us to send your base station the propery security update.”

Huh?

I asked Arlo tech support guy #2 what this had to do with my system functioning or not? He repeated himself.

This was couched under the guise of your free ninety day tech support expired and you will have to pay if you want your system to work. 

I posed this question: “If a system as simple as this requires tech support nearly one year after it has functioned just fine, isn’t this simply a sneaky way of bridging from a system that worked too well, to one that requires regular payment?” 

His broken record reply: “You will need to decide if you want to pay the $139 or the $179 in order for your system to continue working. “

Yeah right pal. Arlo may well want to transition from its DIYS model to a lousy service based subscription, but they are really dropping the ball with existing customers who purchased in good faith. Can Arlo spell R-E-T-U-R-N? (S)

Best of Luck. And, if you have found a solution that works, that is great!

watsons
Aspirant
Aspirant

In response to the below thread, this is what i found that worked to get my cameras working again.  I completed all the basic troubleshooting techniques (turn on/off, unplug internet, reset) and nothing worked. i still had the power and internet LED lights on (steady).  So, i took down one of my cameras and replaced the batteries.  I hit the sync button on the base station and closed the lid on the camera.  BAM! the camera is working again.  To eliminate that occurrence to just luck, i replaced the batteries in another camera and it connected with no issues.  

So, here is what i think what happened.  Due to a power bump or having an interruption to electrical service, the base station froze up and did not come back online.  While the base station is offline, the cameras continue to try to connect to the base station and in doing so, exhausted the batteries.  So, please try replacing your batteries before you throw out your camera system.  :0)

I hope this helps 

ArloTrouble
Aspirant
Aspirant

Changing batteries and re-syncing works for about a week--I have 5 cameras and at least twice per week I get the base station error message. If I go all around to re-sync all cameras, they work for a few days--and then I get the error again. Contacting customer support gets me the sales pitch for the upgraded service plan. I'm done with Arlo.