Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

arlo original offline need new router or faster internet?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
candykay
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo original cameras My cameras go offline all the time and then come back on by themselves. Do I need a new router or higher internet service. Will faster internet service help in this matter or just waste of time. Signal isn't as strong as it once was so am wondering if I need to get a new bigger router to handle all the wifi stuff we have.  I already bought a wifi extender and it isn't helping that much.  Also if you install more than one base station can you have more cameras for the original arlo and how many cameras are allowed on each base station? can you use arlo pro cameras with arlo original base? I'd like one I can talk through on front door but didn't know if I need a newer base or not.  several questions sorry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@candykay wrote:

if I move one base to the other side of the house with a ethernet cable I'm guessing that will help ease the problem of its signal.  Am I understanding that correctly?

Yes, moving the base closer to the camera is one thing to try here.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@candykay wrote:

Arlo original cameras My cameras go offline all the time and then come back on by themselves. 

Let's start with this.  Is there any indication that the base station is off-line?  Perhaps all the cameras going off-line and on-line at the same time?  If you aren't certain, try going into the base station settings the next time they are off-line, and see if you can restart the base station.  If you can, it's not off-line.

If the base station is losing it's connection to the Arlo cloud, then it's possible that upgrading your internet service or router might help.  Otherwise not.

@candykay wrote:

I already bought a wifi extender and it isn't helping that much. 

Arlo doesn't use your home wifi, so it won't help your Arlo service at all.  

@candykay wrote:

Also if you install more than one base station can you have more cameras for the original arlo and how many cameras are allowed on each base station? 

More base stations do add capacity, and can also increase your coverage area.  How many cameras do you have now, and how far are they from the base station?

In general, I think that 15 cameras can be synced to one base, but only 5 streams can be active at a time. 

@candykay wrote:

can you use arlo pro cameras with arlo original base? 

You should be able to connect the Pro-2 (and of course the Pro) to your VMB3030.  I think if you want to go higher than that you will need a newer base.  You can continue to use the old one in parallel, or alternatively resync your cameras to the new base.

candykay
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will have to check the base station next time they go offline.  One of the cameras is having more problems than the others and it is the furthest away from the base.  The signal is weak.  So since they don't go off my home wifi I'm guessing they are going off the base wifi so if I move one base to the other side of the house with a ethernet cable I'm guessing that will help ease the problem of its signal.  Am I understanding that correctly?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@candykay wrote:

if I move one base to the other side of the house with a ethernet cable I'm guessing that will help ease the problem of its signal.  Am I understanding that correctly?

Yes, moving the base closer to the camera is one thing to try here.