Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary

For several years I have been sending different alerts from ARLO to an email account. 

I always used alerts@arlo.com as the sender.

I stopped getting these alerts and noticed that the sender now is amazonses.com

From what I read, that is a ARLO SES Cloud based email provider.

Now on my personal ARLO system, I am still getting alerts from alerts@arlo.com

Should I change  those amazonses.com back to alerts@arlo ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary
The ones that the sender is amazonses.com are under the umbrella of our Lake Community. They use that along with Constant Contact as means of email communications. No question about amazonses.com.
THe ones I get from alerts@arlo.com are from my personal ARLO configuration and personal email accounts.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rdilauro wrote:

From what I read, that is a ARLO SES Cloud based email provider.

Amazonses is the Amazon Web Services (AWS) simple email service. Lots of companies use it.  Though generally they are using their own email addresses.  It's intended for high-volume automated emails (marketing, etc).

@rdilauro wrote:

Now on my personal ARLO system, I am still getting alerts from alerts@arlo.com

Arlo no longer sends email notifications when the cameras trigger.  They discontinued that feature back on November 2023.  What types of alerts are you getting in the personal email (and in also what are you getting from amazonses)?

I am getting low battery alerts, but nothing else.  The "from" line is alerts@arlo.com, and the emails are signed by arlo.com.  But they are sent from an AWS server.  For example, the most recent has mailed-by set to eu-west-1.amazonses.com.  Note the mailed-by field is NOT an email address (there is no @)

@rdilauro wrote:

For several years I have been sending different alerts from ARLO to an email account. 

I always used alerts@arlo.com as the sender.

Should I change  those amazonses.com back to alerts@arlo ?

Are you sure you are seeing an amazonses email address?  Or are you seeing what I am seeing (alerts@arlo.com as the sender, with mailed-by set to an amazonses server).

It really doesn't matter as long as the receiving email account gets them.  You can use any sender you want, and it doesn't need to match the original sender.  One risk in using someone else's email address in your "from" line is that you could easily trigger anti-spam measures in the email server you are using.  

Personally I'd use an email account that is under my control, and just use that in the sender address.  I'd forward the email, so the original mail header would still be included.  If there are mail filters in the receiving account, I'd add tags to the subject line and use those for filtering.

rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary
The ones that the sender is amazonses.com are under the umbrella of our Lake Community. They use that along with Constant Contact as means of email communications. No question about amazonses.com.
THe ones I get from alerts@arlo.com are from my personal ARLO configuration and personal email accounts.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rdilauro wrote:

I'm somewhat confused on what is happening.

Do the original emails you are getting from Arlo for the Lake Community Arlo account have alerts@arlo.com as the sender (e.g., in the "From" line in the header)?  If not, what is in the "From" field in those original emails?

Are you forwarding or re-sending those emails using an amazonses account?

What is the receiving account seeing in the "From" field?  Is it

1. alerts@arlo.com
  2. the email account that is being used for forwarding/resending the messages
  3. a value you are setting manually in the software that is doing the forwarding?
  4. something else ????
rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary
I am just as confused, Here is an example:
Arlo System Update: Low Battery Detected on Mountain Drive Entrance
Arlo Alert <alerts@arlo.com>Add to Contacts
sent fromamazonses.com
Sent:
Sat, Jun 22, 2024 at 5:44 pm
To:
arlo@candlewoodlakeclub.com
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rdilauro wrote:
I am just as confused, Here is an example:
Arlo System Update: Low Battery Detected on Mountain Drive Entrance
Arlo Alert <alerts@arlo.com>Add to Contacts
sent fromamazonses.com
Sent:
Sat, Jun 22, 2024 at 5:44 pm
To:
arlo@candlewoodlakeclub.com

This is totally normal.  "Sent From" is NOT the sender.  It's the delivery service that transmitted the email.  The sender is alerts@arlo.com.

If  you imagine this is a package and not an email, then you might see

• Sent from: UPS (or Fedex, etc)
  • To: your address.

"mailed-by" would be a better label than "sent from"  (and is what gmail uses).