Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
REIGNINSLAYER
Guide
Guide

I've had the 5-camera bundle for 10 months.  It has worked flawlessly until today.  I logged into the app and camera's 1, 2, 4 have the message 'your device is offiline'.  Camera 3 is working.  Camera 5 has the message 'a firmware update is available for your device'.  I opened/closed the battery compartment on camera 1.  The light on the camera flashed blue for a few seconds.  Closed/opened the app.  Same messages on all camera's except for camera 3 which is working.  The base station has three green lights on.  I shut the power off with the power button on the base station.  Turned it back on.  Waited for the three green lights to turn on.  Checked the app.  Same result as above.  My internet and WiFi is working.  No issues there.  I pressed the 'update' button on camera 5 to update the firmware.  The message appears 'update is in progress do not turn off your camera'.  The update took about 7 seconds and the screen went back to the cameras tab.  The messages for all the camera's is the same as above except for camera 5.  Camera 5 is now working.

I checked the desktop verison.  Camera's 1, 2, 4 have the message 'Your device is not connected. Make sure it's connected to your router and has a working Internet connection.'  Camera 3 and 5 are working.  Camera 5 does not display any message about a firmware update.

Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
REIGNINSLAYER
Guide
Guide

BFGAZ wrote:

I have had the same problem, and this is the solution-

Arlo Wireless Security Cameras Multiple Camera Failure Solution:

Close Arlo computer interface.

• Remove cameras from mountings.
  • While directly next to Arlo router, open battery covers for 10 seconds.
  • Close battery covers and confirm that blue indicator on front of cameras flash momentarily. If it does not, replace camera batteries (usually not necessary unless there was a low battery warning prior to camera failures).
  • Re-sync cameras individually per user instructions (See below).
  • Open Arlo computer interface and confirm that all cameras are working.
  • Close Arlo computer interface.
  • Re-mount cameras.
  • It is very highly likely that you will then need to go to “Settings” for each camera that you reset, go to the bottom of the page for each such camera, and do a firmware update for each of those fixed cameras. Each update takes close to 90 seconds and does NOT require that the camera be near the router but instead it can be mounted wherever it originally was.

Arlo Camera Sync Instructions:

• Sync only one camera at a time.
  • Make sure camera is in your hands within 18 inches of your Arlo router.
  • Push yellow sync button on right side of router for ONLY 2 seconds.
  • The third light from the left on your Arlo router will flash green, indicating that the router is in sync mode. If this occurs, go to step 5.
  • If the fifth light from the left flashes yellow, you pushed the sync button for too long. In that case, turn the router off (unplug it or push the power button on the back of the router).  Wait 10 seconds and then turn the router back on and let it fully re-boot until all three green lights from the left are illuminated without flashing.  This will take about 90 seconds.  Then, follow step 3 again.
  • While the sync light is flashing, push the sync button on top of one camera at a time for ONLY 2 seconds. The blue light on the front of the camera will flash slowly for 7 to 15 seconds.  Then, the sync light on your Arlo router will stop flashing and will remain sold.  About 5 seconds after that, the blue light on the front of the camera will flash rapidly for about 10 seconds and will then turn off.
  • The camera is now synchronized and you can view it through the Arlo computer interface.

I followed these steps to a T.  Still could not get the camera's to sync.  Here is what FINALLY worked for me:

• Logged into the desktop site
  • Removed all devices (camera's)
  • Removed base station
  • Logged out of the desktop site
  • Master reset the base station
  • Logged into the app
  • Added base station
  • Added each camera using the syncing camera steps

What a pain in the @ss!  There has to be a better solution.  So we are back to the original question I'm posting to NetGear.  Why do the camera's go offline for no reason what so ever?  Internet? Check. WiFi? Check. Batteries? Check.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
ericmcgovern
Apprentice
Apprentice
This may be something on Netgear's end, as I am having the same issue. I read through a few threads and sounds like this has happened in the past and the culprit was a server issue with Netgear.
REIGNINSLAYER
Guide
Guide

Do we contact Netgear directly?  Did you find a solution?

texbeau
Apprentice
Apprentice
I am having exact same issue today. It is typical for Netherlands to not provide notices of outages on their end.
BFGAZ
Tutor
Tutor

• Close battery covers and confirm that blue indicator on front of cameras flash momentarily. If it does not, replace camera batteries (usually not necessary unless there was a low battery warning prior to camera failures).
  • Re-mount cameras.
  • It is very highly likely that you will then need to go to “Settings” for each camera that you reset, go to the bottom of the page for each such camera, and do a firmware update for each of those fixed cameras. Each update takes close to 90 seconds and does NOT require that the camera be near the router but instead it can be mounted wherever it originally was.

• The third light from the left on your Arlo router will flash green, indicating that the router is in sync mode. If this occurs, go to step 5.
  • If the fifth light from the left flashes yellow, you pushed the sync button for too long. In that case, turn the router off (unplug it or push the power button on the back of the router).  Wait 10 seconds and then turn the router back on and let it fully re-boot until all three green lights from the left are illuminated without flashing.  This will take about 90 seconds.  Then, follow step 3 again.
  • While the sync light is flashing, push the sync button on top of one camera at a time for ONLY 2 seconds. The blue light on the front of the camera will flash slowly for 7 to 15 seconds.  Then, the sync light on your Arlo router will stop flashing and will remain sold.  About 5 seconds after that, the blue light on the front of the camera will flash rapidly for about 10 seconds and will then turn off.
  • The camera is now synchronized and you can view it through the Arlo computer interface.
sdoowag
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue.  8 of 10 cameras are offline as of 9/24.  In addition to getting this fixed, Arlo/Netgear should consider putting a camera ping in the router.  If the ping is not acknowledged a message should be sent to the owner that camera(s) are offline.  That should be something very easy to do.

texbeau
Apprentice
Apprentice
That worked, but what a pain to have to take down all of the cameras and resync then. One of my cameras won't come up after firmware update which I have opened a new case with Netgear for.
Flashfox
Guide
Guide

FIXED - Had to reboot the base twice (which makes it three times). All cameras are back.

REIGNINSLAYER
Guide
Guide

BFGAZ wrote:

• Re-mount cameras.

I followed these steps to a T.  Still could not get the camera's to sync.  Here is what FINALLY worked for me:

• Logged into the desktop site
  • Removed all devices (camera's)
  • Removed base station
  • Logged out of the desktop site
  • Master reset the base station
  • Logged into the app
  • Added base station
  • Added each camera using the syncing camera steps

What a pain in the @ss!  There has to be a better solution.  So we are back to the original question I'm posting to NetGear.  Why do the camera's go offline for no reason what so ever?  Internet? Check. WiFi? Check. Batteries? Check.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

REIGNINSLAYER,

I am glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue. I apologize for the frustrating process.

Cameras can go offline due to poor signal strength, dead batteries, etc. In this case, it is likely the cameras went offline due to failing to complete the recent firmware update. Take a look at this article for more information: My Arlo camera is offline since the release of the recent firmware update; what do I do?

JamesC

REIGNINSLAYER
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the reply.  There has to be a better solution in the future.  All of my batteries were fully charged and my five camera's were never powered off.  I understand you have to re-sync the camera's after a firmware update.  According to the sync process you have to be 1-3 feet away from the base station.  No one has there camera's installed 1-3 feet away from the base station.  I had to get my ladder out, take down all five camera's and bring them inside to I could be 1-3 feet away to the base station to re-sync them.  Better yet how about an app or email notification that your camera is offline?  Or an app or email notification that your camera failed to update firmware?

Tamiachak
Aspirant
Aspirant
What about if you are in a different state your cameras are in? We have 4 cameras all batteries are good and only 1 camera is offline and has been for the past week. How do I fix it from a different location?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The only thing you can try is to restart the base using Settings, My Devices, your base, Restart button at the bottom. Of course, the camera batteries could be dead for whatever reason.

Does anyone have access just in case?
Tamiachak
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just restarted the system and it's the same thing 😕
Nope 😞 it's a pretty remote location but we'll be there in a few days, I just wish it wasn't the main camera that was having issues
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's some things that can cause this such as dead batteries or a power outage.  The latter may be fixed by using an inexpensive UPS/battery backup for your modem, router and base so only a long outage would affect the system.  I use a 750VA UPS (~$100) that should provide many hours of power during an outage.  As long as you have some time before getting up there, you might want to take one with you.

It might also be useful to perform a complete system reset just to ensure that nothing is wrong with the setup.  That will erase all settings and custom modes you've created so make notes to help set things back up.

whtciv2k
Star
Star

I am having issues today. this morning i was unable to connect to my base station via the app. the video library would load but very slow. the web version, same thing. video's load fine but says base station and cams offline. I rebooted the base station and I verified my internet connectivity is working just fine. Been troubleshooting for about an hour when i tried the app again, says arlo cloud is offline and now arlo.netgear.com will no longer load. is this a problem with netgear, currently? I'm holding off on resetting the base station. IMO this is unacceptable, this is supposed to be monitoring my home when i'm not present, and it is currently not doing so. since this is the first time it has happened, i will let it slide, but if it happens again, i will be quickly replacing this system with Nest cams (already have 1 indoor/1 outdoor) that are flawless.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
whtciv2k
Star
Star

yeah, i'm east coast and wake up at 5:00am so i think i noticed the problem early on. by 7:30am i figurd it was a netgear issue. thanks!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Earlier today, we experienced some technical issues with the Arlo environment and some customers may have been unable to connect to their cameras. We have restored full functionality and you should no longer be experiencing issues. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thank you for being part of the Arlo Family!

JamesC

Retreat
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the information on removing all cameras and the base station and resetting the entire system. I also ran into the same problem after having my Arlo cameras for 2 years. No problem with the internet or batteries. No recent firmware updates. However, I kept getting the message that my base station and cameras were offline despite resetting the base station and resyncing the cameras. It was only after I removed and re-added the devices that the problem was solved. It is rather annoying, though I appreciate the fact that there is a fix for the problem.