Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Would there be any negative affects on how Arlo functions along side a wifi IP camera?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
bpg710
Guide
Guide

Does anyone here know if using a wifi IP camera along side Arlo does it cause any type of interference with either signal strength, bandwith usage or how the Arlo cameras function/communicate with the base station?

I have the 4 camera system and after some trial and error have been pleased with how the system works. I currently have 3 outside and 1 inside. I've been wanting to add a 5th camera but my goal was to have my driveway monitored 24/7. Due to how Arlo senses motion and with my street being a high traffic area my driveway camera picks up a ton of "car driving by" videos. To save on battery usage I'm forced to leave that camera off during the day. Adjusting the sensitivity helps but then I can no longer detect people walking up my driveway. My nighttime experience works much better though.

So, I've been thinging about solving my driveway issue by installing a wifi IP camera that will record to a computer and relocate my existing Arlo camera. Can or would this cause any communication issues? Does anyone else have a setup like this?

I love the idea of Arlo and so far have been a happy customer but from reading many post and comments on here, it seems like a lot of us are in the same boat. If only we could assign an area box for the camera to detect motion like most camera systems can, I think that alone would solve many issues.

2 REPLIES 2
JohnR
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello bpg710, 

The Arlo camera system uses 2.4 ghz wireless frequency, so there is a chance that it can be in conflict with other wireless units (if you have a wireless router that uses 5.0ghz, interference should not be a big issue). However, the base station operates on auto channel so it will figure out which channel to broadcats and avoid intereference. So technically speaking, adding an IP camera should not really give negative effects when used with Arlo units. What you can do to make sure that there are no conflicts on your network is to use wireless network scanning softwares (like inSSIDer) which will let you know  choose which is the best channel to use for your router, which channels overlap and many more useful information. 

Hope that helps, I'll be here if you have more questions.

Thanks, 

JohnR

Arlo Team

Thanks,

JohnR
Netgear Community Team
bpg710
Guide
Guide

Thanks, John.

Just wanted to double check.