Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wireless camera range with base?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
phylialyn47
Follower
Follower

Looking into Arlo as a camera solution and wondering what people's experience has been regarding range. I have a particular application that would see a camera on a post about 20 feet up about 75 feet from the back of my house. I could place the base (hooked up to ethernet if that makes a difference) right inside that back wall of the house. So it would be one wall (stud frame/drywall/vinyl siding) and about 75 ft of open air between the base and the camera. Could I expect a reliable signal? Also, can the wireless cameras be hardwired (for power) as well and if so does it improve the signal at all?

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A couple of potential issues:

1) 75 feet may or may not be an issue - only testing would tell. Since you only have a single wall (you may have to move the base around a little if you don't know what's inside the wall) it seems possible but you'd also need to check for possible 2.4GHz interference from other sources. Not impossible to make this work and it may work well the first time.

2) 20 feet up is a detection issue since people detection is on the order of 20-25 feet. They'd potentially have to be at the base of the pole to be detected.

As for powering the cameras, I'd suggest the Pro or Pro 2 systems instead of the original wireless. These are designed to have rechargeable batteries as well as to be powered from the wall. No, it won't improve the signal but that may not be necessary, as above. Using AC power for the camera does allow for a 3 second look-back to see what happened before the triggering action. It would also allow the ability to subscribe to CVR (continuous video recording) if that would be useful. ALso, the Pro/Pro 2 cameras have a little bit better range for motion detection compared to the original.