Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wifi signal strength weak when camera placed right next to base station

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Rikman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently connected a VMB3000 to a Google Wifi point not directly connected to the router.. The camera indicates weak signal strength even when placed right next to the base station. So, how exactly is it measuring signal strength?

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try repositioning the base away from the WiFi point as well as connecting it to the router.

marcrnsm
Tutor
Tutor
Arlo pro 2 WiFi does not work correctly?
I placed a camera 3 ft from the base, and I'm getting poor connection. All the cameras are saying weak as well
marcrnsm
Tutor
Tutor
I'm having this same problem, and can't find a answer
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @marcrnsm,

Have you tried to reposition as jguerdat mentions?

Rikman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the responses but I fail to see how moving the base station closer to the router will solve the problem.  Here is my logic behind my statement.  The cameras ONLY communicate with the base station, therefore, any movement of the base station closer to the base wifi point or cable modem should have no impact.  Thus, the reason for my original question, 'how is the signal strength calculated'.  By the way, the cameras (one in the garage and one outside front of house) are not having a problem communicating with the base station, they just continue to indicate a weak signal.

My base station is hard wired to one of the  Google wifi points (3 total).  My cable modem only has 1 ethernet port which is connected to my base wifi point.  Due to having a home office set up and needing the 2nd hardwired ethernet connection on my base wifi point to support the office phone I am not in a position to move the base station at this time.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suggested moving the base AWAY from the access point as well as trying it connected directly to the main router. Some folks have found that increasing the distance from the router (access point in this case) has helped although most people, including myself, have no need. As for the suggestion to connect to the main router is that some mesh WiFi network owners have found this to work better than connecting to a satellite. There's history behind these suggestions although there are no guarantees.

To move the base may require the use of a long cable and/or a switch. There are other options, too, but likely unnecessary. Another thing to try is to swap cameras around to see what the results may be.

As to the question of how is the signal display generated, who knows? Engineering isn't here and probably wouldn't explain anyways.

Finally, the camera may have a hardware issue that can't be solved in a user forum like this. You would need to open a case:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

marcrnsm
Tutor
Tutor
Ok to the point... As I said ALL the cameras (4) are displaying weak signal this isn't just me thing, it's all over the web.
Now don't get me wrong, they work fabulously, but when you first hook them up your standing going "what the hell?"
It has to be a bug, some people get a signal others say weak. The furthest camera is 75ft
the closest is 2ft, 12ft, 40ft. All display the same result.
I'll try relocating the base to the bedroom, access point is 40 ft from the router, we'll see if that works. Even if it DOES this has to be fixed, too many (like I considered) will return them.
Petereck33
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine is as well displaying weak signal on all 6 cameras. No camera is farther than 40 ft from base station. Bought a month ago. Also batteries won't even last a week. So far very disappointed in product.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't use the WiFi strength inidcation in the Positioning section of the camera settings. What does the WiFi indication on the Devices tab show for each camera?