Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
timlah79
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do any more modern model Arlo camera types support Activity Zones while on battery power, without requiring a service subscription? Specifically, weatherproof outdoor cameras. If so, which models? Or do ALL cameras require a subscription for Activity Zones if you are running them on battery power?

I have two Pro (version 1) cameras and one Pro2. The Pro (version 1) has been designated as EOL and the Pro2 is soon to be EOL. Yet I'm told I'm still require to continue paying $15/mo for the Arlo Secure subscription in order for Activity Zones to work. I don't even use the other benefits of the plan like cloud storage, etc. So with this said, it seems wrong for me to continue paying this fee just for this feature, especially since my cameras are EOL / will no longer have firmware updates, etc.

I've been told that without a subscription, the cameras I have must be plugged into an outlet for Activity Zones to work. All three cameras are for outdoor use so its not feasible for me to have them plugged into an outlet. Having them plugged in defeats the purpose of having wireless cameras outdoors anyhow. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@timlah79 wrote:

I've been told that without a subscription, the cameras I have must be plugged into an outlet for Activity Zones to work. 

None of the currently sold Arlo cameras support activity zones without a subscription when on battery (or solar) power.

Some models only support activity zones with a subscription (no matter how they are powered).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@timlah79 wrote:

I've been told that without a subscription, the cameras I have must be plugged into an outlet for Activity Zones to work. 

None of the currently sold Arlo cameras support activity zones without a subscription when on battery (or solar) power.

Some models only support activity zones with a subscription (no matter how they are powered).

Esanders
Initiate
Initiate

Apparently if people don’t pay for a subscription plan, Arlo is mostly disabled and almost useless.  So unfortunate but people are never aware when buying this new because the trial plan is included and you just don’t know until that runs out how bad they make it.

RJ694
Initiate
Initiate

I'm in the same boat.

Have 5 cameras. Was going to buy more. When my last subscription expired, I got a notice that my new costs would be $13 per month. No Veteran's discounts. 

I'm bailing out. Will add to my ADT Nest with no additional monthly fees.

When asked, I will tell them. Seen this before.  You're ruining a good product line.

You don't really care. If/when you wake up, you'll spend millions trying to get customers back. Ask ATT and Verizon how that worked out. You're welcome.

timlah79
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@timlah79 wrote:

What a bummer but I guess this answer is the "solution." Thank you and everyone for the insight.

TL;DR

I could've sworn that when I first purchased the original system (2x Pro (V1) cameras + base station) back in late 2017, that my Activity Zones at that time worked without a subscription. But I could be mistaken. I do recall that in 2019 when I added 2 x Pro (V2) cameras, I could set Activity Zones but they seemed to do nothing any longer even on the older cameras. Around then was when support told me I had to start paying for a subscription--one that now almost 5 years later, I've still been paying $15/mo for. Time to switch to a different company / product I suppose. 😒